Re: [precis] IETF85 Atlanta draft agenda

Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> Tue, 16 October 2012 14:37 UTC

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 08:37:16 -0600
From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
To: Yoshiro YONEYA <yoshiro.yoneya@jprs.co.jp>
Cc: precis@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [precis] IETF85 Atlanta draft agenda

Hello Yoneya-san, that agenda looks good. Here is a bit of
agenda-bashing and my thoughts on the various documents...

On 10/16/12 6:28 AM, Yoshiro YONEYA wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 21:22:44 +0900 Yoshiro YONEYA
> <yoshiro.yoneya@jprs.co.jp> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Following is draft agenda for IETF 85 Atlanta. Please send
>> comments/additions/changes to the chairs.
>
> 1. Administrativia
>
> 2. Document updates / Discussion 2.1 WG I-Ds (1) Framework
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-framework/

In Atlanta I hope that we can have some discussion about whether to
make width mapping a "full-class citizen" similar to casemapping and
normalization (i.e., every class and subclass would need to specify if
width mapping is required, recommended, or left up to the application
protocol). Feedback would also be good on the IANA considerations. And
of course we still need to do some testing.

> (2) Preparation and Comparison of Nicknames
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-nickname

This is very close to done. I've pinged a number of people in the SIP
and XMPP communities for feedback. As a result, I expect to publish a
small update before the cut-off date next Monday. I think it will be
ready for WGLC at that point.

> 2.2 Individual Documents (1) Mapping characters for PRECIS classes
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yoneya-precis-mappings/

I think it would be appropriate for the WG to adopt this item. Also
see above about width mapping.

> (2) Username and Password Preparation Algorithms
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-melnikov-precis-saslprepbis/

think it would be appropriate for the WG to adopt this item (as I
recall, we had agreement about that in Vancouver but Alexey and I
wanted to clean up a few aspects of the spec before publishing it as a
WG item). We still need to get more feedback about this spec from the
security community and various application communities that use SASL
(IMAP, XMPP, etc.).

(3) XMPP Address Format
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-xmpp-6122bis/

This has been updated to align with the framework. This too is very
close to done, and IMHO would be ready for WGLC in the XMPP WG (with
cross-review from the PRECIS WG) soon after the Atlanta meeting
(practically, we might want to run this LC after the LC on the
nickname spec, but I leave that up to the PRECIS WG and XMPP WG chairs).

(4) any updates to draft-nemoto-precis-framework-implement-report?

> 3. Next steps

Great reviews from lots of WG participants, widespread implementation,
and universal deployment. ;-)

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre