Re: [802.1] Re: [PWE3] Next Generation CO-PS layer network technology?

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.se> Thu, 18 December 2003 22:07 UTC

From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.se>
Subject: Re: [802.1] Re: [PWE3] Next Generation CO-PS layer network technology?
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:07:33 +0100
Sender: owner-mpls@UU.NET
Cc: "'Maarten.Vissers@alcatel.de'" <Maarten.Vissers@alcatel.de>, stds-802-1@ieee.org, tsg15q12@itu.int, pwe3@ietf.org
To: stbryant@cisco.com, MPLS wg <mpls@UU.NET>, te-wg@ops.ietf.org

MPLS and TEWG,

this is a mail that has been on the PWE3 mailings list, since it
concerns the tewg and mpls wg, I'm forwarding it the working
group mailing lists also.

As Stewart says it is interesting, but I often find it more
interesting to read things I disaggree with, than things I aggree with.

My take is that CO-MPLS is out of scope for the MPLS WG also.

/Loa

Stewart Bryant wrote:

> Maarten
>
> Although this is interesting work, it does not seem to fall
> within the charter of PWE3.
>
> The PWE3 charter is concerned with the emulation of services
> over the PSN infrastructure for which the IETF is the design
> authority. PWE3 would be the right place to consider EMULATING
> CO-MPLS over an IETF specified PSN, but it is not the right
> place to design CO-MPLS.
>
> This work would seem to be better directed at the MPLS or
> TEWG working groups.
>
> - Stewart
>
> Akiva Sadovski wrote:
>
>> Hi Maarten,
>>   thank you for very interesting NG CO-PS summary. 1) However i'm
>> wondering whether we really need *both* SNCP and SPRing at
>> initial stages of
>> NG CO-PS development.
>> 2) As far as i know, there were some SNCP-like mechanisms for
>> Ethernet under
>> development, like draft-shah-extreme-eaps-00.txt
>>
>> My 2c,
>>   Akiva Sadovski

>>> 2) CO-PS ETH/VLAN (switched Ethernet/switched VLAN)
>>> 3) CO-PS GFP (switched GFP)
>>> 4) something new.
>>>
>>> The first three alternatives have as starting point the
>>> re-use/multi-use of existing popular frame/packet formats:
>>> 1) MPLS packet with its shim header (label, EXP, S, TTL):
>>> 2) tagged MAC frame (ethertype, VLAN ID, priority, CFI)