RE: Martini Ethernet mode

Shahram Davari <Shahram_Davari@pmc-sierra.com> Wed, 31 July 2002 15:16 UTC

From: Shahram Davari <Shahram_Davari@pmc-sierra.com>
Subject: RE: Martini Ethernet mode
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:16:56 -0700
Sender: pwe3-admin@ietf.org
Cc: "'pwe3@ietf.org'" <pwe3@ietf.org>
To: "'erosen@cisco.com'" <erosen@cisco.com>

Thanks Eric,

Actually based on this I wanted to find out what kind of lookup should be done
at the egress point of the PW:

1) If VLAN tag was used to select the PW at the ingress, then it doesn't make
sense to do any VLAN (or MAC) lookup at the egress, since the VC label represents the VLAN information.

2) If the port# has been used to select the PW at the ingress, also there is no
point in looking up the VLAN (or MAC) at the egress, since this is supposed to be
a transparent mode.

3) If the MAC or MAC+VLAN is used to select the PW at the ingress, then you
need to do VLAN and/or MAC lookup at the egress.

Is my understanding correct?

-Shahram