RE: CE-to-CE PWs, Hierarchical VPLS and Pseudowire Stitchi ng Function in draft-stein-pwe3-pwce2e-00.txt

Sasha Vainshtein <Sasha@AXERRA.com> Tue, 11 November 2003 23:56 UTC

From: Sasha Vainshtein <Sasha@AXERRA.com>
Subject: RE: CE-to-CE PWs, Hierarchical VPLS and Pseudowire Stitchi ng Function in draft-stein-pwe3-pwce2e-00.txt
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 01:56:46 +0200
Sender: pwe3-admin@ietf.org
Cc: Alik Shimelmits <alik@AXERRA.com>, "Stewart Bryant (E-mail)" <stbryant@cisco.com>, "Prayson Pate (E-mail)" <prayson.pate@overturenetworks.com>, "PWE3 WG (E-mail)" <pwe3@ietf.org>, "David Sinicrope (E-mail)" <David.Sinicrope@Ericsson.com>, "Yaakov Stein (E-mail)" <yaakov_s@Rad.co.il>
To: "'Busschbach, Peter B (Peter)'" <busschbach@lucent.com>

Peter,
Thank you for a prompt response.

I'll check  your reference to hierarchical VPLS in
draft-ietf-l2vpn-signaling-00.txt
However, I do not think that Option 3 is really identical to
hierarchical VPLS because the PSF is service-agnostic
and does not look at any part of the native frame.
I would say it sounds like a hierarchical VPWS.

I would appreciate references to multi-hop LSPs if you can provide them.

Wrt interest - or lack thereof - based on Yaakov's draft, the crucial
question, IMO, is: what justifies support of Option 3 when Option 2
does the same job as well? Saving one label stack entry on the CE-PE
packet clearly does not. And, from little I know about MPLS UNI
(David is the expert here), it allows you to obtain a valid transport
label without the need to learn the core topology. It is also a clear-cut
control plane solution, without the need for a new function (PSF) in the
high-speed data plane.

Please note that I do not reject Option 3 out of hand. I simply try to
understand its advantages (and disadvantages:-).

At the same time I feel pretty sure that Option 1 is a dead-end.

--------
With best regards,
                          Sasha Vainshtein
email:   sasha@axerra.com <mailto:sasha@axerra.com>