RE: CE-to-CE PWs, Hierarchical VPLS and Pseudowire Stitchi ng Function in draft-stein-pwe3-pwce2e-00.txt

"David Sinicrope" <david.sinicrope@ericsson.com> Wed, 12 November 2003 16:07 UTC

From: David Sinicrope <david.sinicrope@ericsson.com>
Subject: RE: CE-to-CE PWs, Hierarchical VPLS and Pseudowire Stitchi ng Function in draft-stein-pwe3-pwce2e-00.txt
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:07:38 -0500
Sender: pwe3-admin@ietf.org
Cc: 'Alik Shimelmits' <alik@AXERRA.com>, "'Stewart Bryant (E-mail)'" <stbryant@cisco.com>, "'Prayson Pate (E-mail)'" <prayson.pate@overturenetworks.com>, "'PWE3 WG (E-mail)'" <pwe3@ietf.org>, "'Yaakov Stein (E-mail)'" <yaakov_s@Rad.co.il>
To: 'Sasha Vainshtein' <Sasha@AXERRA.com>, "'Busschbach, Peter B (Peter)'" <busschbach@lucent.com>

The MPLS UNI that Sasha is referring to is on the MPLS&FR Alliance
website:
http://www.mplsforum.org/tech/MPLS_FR202.0.1.pdf

It allows a provider network to present multiple TE LSPs to a CE device
over one interface.  Essentially these can be used as the transport
tunnels for the PWs.  The UNI provides LSPs for transport in a way
similar to Frame Relay PVCs and ATM PVCCs.   Currently the transport
LSPs are "PVC-like" in that they are provisioned between two CEs.
Similar to the FR UNI, there is no routing information/protocol passed
on the CE-PE interface, so the provider topology and routing information
is not exposed to the CE.  In addition to the transport LSPs there is a
LSP status protocol that is based on LDP.  It provides information about
the transport LSPs that are available on the CE-PE interface.  The
transport LSP information can be provisioned in the CEs and verified
with the status protocol or learned from the status protocol.

After hearing Yaakov's presentation Monday night, it seemed to me that
the UNI might be a good solution.

-David

David Sinicrope
Ericsson IPI