Re: [PWE3] Transport Area Review: Congestion Control Framework

Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk> Mon, 17 November 2008 14:51 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:51:04 +0000
To: Black_David@emc.com
From: Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk>
Cc: pwe3@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PWE3] Transport Area Review: Congestion Control Framework
Sender: pwe3-bounces@ietf.org

David & PWEs

Further to David's points (2) & (3) from back in late Oct...

I had intended to write up my review of this draft, but I've run out
of time (it's has all been in pen on the draft for some time, but
converting it to key-strokes has not happened yet, I'm afraid).

1/ My main point would have been that this draft really wants to be
talking about congestion /policing/, not congestion /control/.

The distinction is that you want the end points to be doing
congestion control while congestion policing merely detects it
they're not (or not doing it any thing like enough). Only then would
a congestion policer intervene. Otherwise a policer should appear transparent.

Congestion policing addresses the issue of safety against congestion
collapse, while it would also control fairness, but differently from
how it's been described by David and in the draft.

Even if the policer does kick in (because the PWE3 hasn't been
behaving), a congestion policer would allow any congestion responsive
flows in the PWE3 to compensate for any unresponsive flows. This is
described in the paper below...

As I've run out of time, I'll type up further comments properly
later. But in the interim, here's very recently accepted paper on
congestion policing that says what I want to say. The idea is,
essentially, to limit the rate at which the PWE3 can cause its
packets to be dropped by bottlenecks - ie not limiting the bit rate
of all traffic, just the rate at which bits get dropped by
bottlenecks. This limits the PWE's bit rate only in as much as that
bit-rate is at the expense of others. Importantly, it makes no
assumptions about the congestion control that needs to be used by the
endpoints, whether TCP, TFRC, admission control or nothing. It just
sets an outer envelope of congestion that the PWE has to keep within.
"Policing Freedom to Use the Internet Resource Pool"
<http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/B.Briscoe/pubs.html#polfree>
It's only 6pp.

The paper says loss-detection would need to be added to the network
for congestion policing to work with loss (rather than just ECN), but
in PWE3 you're talking about adding loss-detection to the network -
in this draft.

See you in a few mins in PWE3.

Bob