Re: [PWE3] Transport Area Review: Congestion Control Framework

<neil.2.harrison@bt.com> Tue, 28 October 2008 10:06 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:05:38 -0000
From: neil.2.harrison@bt.com
To: Black_David@emc.com, pwe3@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [PWE3] Transport Area Review: Congestion Control Framework
Sender: pwe3-bounces@ietf.org

Interesting mail David,

I agree with your remarks but IMO they are not sufficient....one also
has to take performance inheritance into account.

Let me call a "well-controlled-and-managed-service-provider-network" a
"transport network" here, for both brevity and because this has a
well-understood meaning to those au fait with the unified modelling (of
the functional architecture) of networks - see G.800.

The topology of a layer N network (any mode/technology - see note) is
composed of layer N links and layer N nodes.  Performance impairments
can be sourced from both these components. {Note - There are 3 generic
network modes:  cl-ps, co-ps, co-cs.  All technologies belong to one of
these.  Mode differences arise due to how resource (time/freq/space) is
partitioned and labelled.  See G.800}.

The layer N links are actually end-end network connections in layer N-1,
which itself is composed of layer N-1 nodes and layer N-1 links.  And
this behaviour is recursive until we hit the duct/physicals.

The consequence of this is the performance experienced by the clients of
layer N is (to a very good 1st ~) the cumulative sum of the impairments
generated in the layer N nodes traversed and the impairments *inherited*
by the layer N links traversed....which is a recursive impairment
inheritance behaviour to the duct.

In other words, it is *not* sufficient to define a 'transport network'
at layer N only, but this must also be a 'transport network' at all
lower levels down to the duct/physicals.

A network must have (at a minimum) the following characteristics to be
deemed a transport network from performance inheritance considerations:
-	reachability isolation, ie the access points of client X cannot
communicate with the access points of client Y;
-	performance isolation, ie the traffic behaviour of client X
cannot impact the performance experienced by client Y.

In order to satisfy the latter requirement, a 'transport network' must:
-	be based on connections (these have a very precise meaning - see
G.800)...a necessary condition;
-	not have overbooked resources...a full-sufficiency condition.

A further consequence of the recursive nature of network topology
creation is that the disjoint connectivity of layer N cannot be greater
than that of the duct/physicals...which of course impacts the layer N
availability performance.

I think the implications of what I am pointing out should be clear, and
IMO the above should also be factored-in to your deliberations as well
as the other points you made.

regards, Neil