Re: Re: MPLS PWs over IP: Text for draft-ietf-pwe3-control-protocol-04.txt

"W. Mark Townsley" <townsley@cisco.com> Thu, 04 December 2003 17:36 UTC

From: "W. Mark Townsley" <townsley@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Re: MPLS PWs over IP: Text for draft-ietf-pwe3-control-protocol-04.txt
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 18:36:13 +0100
Sender: pwe3-admin@ietf.org
Cc: Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>, Luca Martini <lmartini@cisco.com>, stbryant@cisco.com, Kireeti Kompella <kireeti@juniper.net>, "Eric Rosen (erosen)" <erosen@cisco.com>, pwe3@ietf.org
To: Rahul Aggarwal <rahul@juniper.net>

Rahul Aggarwal wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, W. Mark Townsley wrote:
>

>>Yakov Rekhter wrote:
>>
>>>Here is the proposed text:
>>>
>>>  Procedures for setting up and maintaining the PSN tunnels with GRE
>>>  or IP are specified in [MPLS-OVER-IP-GRE].
>>
>>Rahul's proposal was also to remove this text:
>>
>>"Procedures for setting up and maintaining the PSN tunnels are outside the scope
>>of this document."
>>
>>Which is why I said the proposal changes the scope of the document.
>>

> How about replacing
>
>    The PSN tunnel can itself be an LSP, but it could equally well
>    be an IP tunnel, a GRE tunnel, an IPsec tunnel, or any other sort of
>    tunnel which can carry MPLS packets. Procedures for setting up and
>    maintaining the PSN tunnels are outside the scope of this document.
>
> with
>
>    The PSN tunnel can itself be an LSP, but it could equally well
>    be an IP tunnel [MPLS-OVER-IP-GRE], a GRE tunnel [MPLS-OVER-IP-GRE],
>    an IPsec tunnel, or any other sort of tunnel which can carry MPLS
>    packets. Procedures for setting up and maintaining the PSN tunnels
>    are outside the scope of this document.

Better. However, *if* we are going to hit the text here turn what was a set of
loose and unbounded examples into a list of specific references, I'd like to go
ahead and add L2TPv3 as an example of "any other sort of tunnel which can carry
MPLS packets" and include a reference to draft-townsley-l2tpv3-mpls-01.txt. For
consistency, we would need to reference your upcoming MPLS over IPsec
encapsulation draft as well. I find it arbitrary to reference some examples and
not others.

I'm also fine with just leaving the text as is.

- Mark