Re: [PWE3] WG Poll on draft-jin-pwe3-cbit-negotiation-03.txt ( comment )

Luca Martini <lmartini@cisco.com> Tue, 08 March 2011 20:42 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 13:40:13 -0700
From: Luca Martini <lmartini@cisco.com>
To: lizhong.jin@zte.com.cn
Cc: pwe3@ietf.org, andrew.g.malis@verizon.com
Subject: Re: [PWE3] WG Poll on draft-jin-pwe3-cbit-negotiation-03.txt ( comment )

On 03/08/11 09:06, lizhong.jin@zte.com.cn wrote:

> [...]
>
> Regards
> Lizhong
>

> Luca Martini <lmartini@cisco.com> wrote on 2011-03-08 03:35:08:
>
> > Sorry for the late response , comments below:
> > Luca
> >

> > On 03/03/11 08:41, lizhong.jin@zte.com.cn wrote:
> > >
> > > Luca,
> > > After discussing with the authors, we decide to add the wait for label
> > > release before sending label request, this wouldn't harm and bring
> > > some secure.
> > >
> > > Then are you OK with the following text?
> > >
> > > When Local PE changes its control word from NOT PREFERRED to PREFERRED
> > > and only if it already received the remote label mapping message with
> > > C-bit=0, additional procedure will be added as follow:
> > > -i Local PE MUST send a label withdraw message to remote PE if it has
> > > previously sent a label mapping, and wait until receiving a label
> > > release from the remote PE.
> > > -ii Local PE MUST send a label request message to remote PE, and wait
> > > until receiving a label mapping message containing the remote PE
> > > configured control word setting.
> > > -iii After receiving remote PE label mapping with control word
> > > setting, Local PE MUST follow procedures defined in [RFC4447] section
> > > 6 when sending it's label mapping message.
> > >
> > Ok the above text is fine.
> > However you need to address the case when the Local PE changes its
> > control word from  PREFERRED to NOT PREFERRED as well.
> [Lizhong] yes, and already addressed in section 3 at the beginning of
> page4 of this draft.
>

> > > Correspondingly, the modified procedure of PE in figure 1 will be as
> > > follows:
> > >
> > > 1. PE2 changes locally configured control word to PREFERRED.
> > > 2. PE2 will then send label withdraw message to PE1.
> > > 3. PE1 MUST send label release in reply to label withdraw message from
> > > PE2.
> > > 4. Upon receipt of Label release message from PE1, PE2 MUST send label
> > > request messages to PE1 although it already received the label mapping
> > > with C-bit=0.
> > > 5. PE1 MUST send label mapping message with C-bit=1 again to PE2
> > > (Note: PE1 MUST send label mapping with locally configured CW
> parameter).
> > > 6. PE2 receives the label mapping from PE1 and updates the remote
> > > label binding information. PE2 MUST wait for PE1 label binding before
> > > sending its label binding with C-bit set, only if it previously had a
> > > label binding with C-bit = 0 from PE1.
> > > 7. PE2 will send label mapping to PE1 with C-bit=1.
> > >
> > No, the above procedure will result in a LDP error and session shutdown.
> > In LDP you  cannot "update" the FEC.  In step 5 PE1 can only send the
> > label mapping message it has previously sent. So PE1 cannot change the
> > C-Bit without first issuing a label withdraw.
> [Lizhong] I don't think such procedure will result in a sesion down
> according to RFC5036. Actually, this is what we want to standardize
> for the PW-FEC processing, to add a way of updating PW-FEC.
you cannot Just "update" a FEC , as it leads to confusion. The receiving
PE will not know how to handle the packet. The label MUST be released ,
and a new label advertised.
> Another way to update PW-FEC is to let PE1 send label withdraw (maybe
> with wrong C-bit) before sending label mapping in step 5, as a reply
> to the label request. But this will lead to additional control message
> load and is not aligned with "receiving label request" behavior in
> A.1.1 in RFC5036, which makes us to abandon it.

I do not see how the explanations in appendix A.1.1 in RFC5036 apply to
this problem.

> > > It is to be noted that the above assume that PE1 is configured to
> > > support CW, however in step 5 if PE1 doesn't support CW, PE1 would
> > > send the label mapping message with C-bit =0, this would result in PE2
> > > in step 7 sending a label mapping with C-bit=0 as per [RFC4447] CW
> > > negotiation procedure.
> > >
> > What is needed is some way to send a message to the remote PE that the
> > C-bit negotiation procedure needs to be re-started.
> >
> > Solution 1
> >
> > one way to get this procedure working is to have PE2 release the label
> > mapping previously sent by PE1.
> > If you do this today, most implementations will simply go to a dead
> > state requiring operator intervention.
> > What should happen is that upon receiving the label release , PE1 should
> > withdraw it's label mapping , and reset the c-bit negotiation state
> > machine , and re-advertise the new label mapping restarting the
> > procedure described in rfc4447 from the beginning.
> [Lizhong] This solution has been discussed before on PWE3 mail list
> (http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/pwe3/current/msg11484.html), and
> I also do not prefer this option.

No I disagree with Sasha. A label release can be sent anytime , and that
is a local PE decision. Liberal label retention only implies that labels
are usually stored. A label release can be sent for many reasons , like
for example no more local memory available.

> > Solution 2
> >
> > Whenever a PE withdraws a FEC mapping , the remote PE resets the C-bit
> > negotiation procedure. If this results in a different C-bit local value
> > then previously advertised , the local PE MUST go though a label
> > withdraw/label release/label advertisement cycle.
> [Lizhong] Solution 2 has already been discussed before on mail list
> (http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/pwe3/current/msg11497.html), and
> also addressed in 00 version of this draft
> (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jin-pwe3-cbit-negotiation-00).
> Unfortunately, the mechanism can not work in MS-PW case.

Actually it works fine in the MS-PW case. S-PEs do not care how many
times the label is withdrawn and advertised.
This solution works perfectly fine within all existing LDP rules.

Luca