RE: [PWE3] BFD for MPLS PWs

"Busschbach, Peter B (Peter)" <busschbach@lucent.com> Wed, 23 August 2006 02:37 UTC

From: "Busschbach, Peter B (Peter)" <busschbach@lucent.com>
To: 'Luca Martini' <lmartini@cisco.com>
Subject: RE: [PWE3] BFD for MPLS PWs
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 22:37:13 -0400
Cc: Swallow George <swallow@cisco.com>, "'Thomas D. Nadeau'" <tnadeau@cisco.com>, Pignataro Carlos <cpignata@cisco.com>, Morrow Monique <mmorrow@cisco.com>, "pwe3 WG ((((((((E-mail))))))))" <pwe3@ietf.org>, Danny McPherson <danny@tcb.net>, Agarwal Rahul <rahagarw@cisco.com>, "Stewart (stbryant) Bryant" <stbryant@cisco.com>

Luca,

Your entire email suggests that all that OAM stuff isn't really that critical. To some extent I even agree with you. When you run MPLS over SONET or SDH, the probability of a pure MPLS or PW failure is rare and does not warrant a heavy investment in PW OAM. If I were an operator, I don't think that I would run BFD over every PW.

However, your comment about ATM not being used as the Internet Protocol is nonsense. The Internet is by design a connectionless network with completely different properties than the services for which ATM was designed. There are many different network architectures and many different services and for some of these OAM implementations are required that do not apply to the Internet.

The irony of the situation is that even though you don't see much value in OAM, you are proposing solutions that complicate the implementation of it: you believe that in many cases defects should be reported twice, once via in-band notifications and once via PW Status.

My proposal is to define OAM in way that is simple as possible. For each defect there is a well-defined, minimal set of consequent actions. That seems the obvious way to minimize the burden that OAM could potentially imply. One would think that you would resonate with that. Yet, for some reason, and I don't understand why, you are fighting it.

I can't prevent you from writing emails to explain what you believe is the best solution, but it is worth considering that several of us have spent a lot of time to define the OAM Message Mapping draft. Therefore, if you believe that there is a fundamentally better solution, I would rather see that you work it out in a document with sufficient detail so that we can compare apples with apples.

Peter