Re: [PWE3] draft-manhoudt-pwe3-tsop-00.txt and IP

Gert Manhoudt <gmanhoudt@aimvalley.nl> Wed, 18 July 2012 08:32 UTC

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 10:33:28 +0200
From: Gert Manhoudt <gmanhoudt@aimvalley.nl>
To: Alexander Vainshtein <Alexander.Vainshtein@ecitele.com>, "stbryant@cisco.com" <stbryant@cisco.com>, "Yaakov Stein (yaakov_s@rad.com)" <yaakov_s@rad.com>
Cc: "peter.roberts@alcatel-lucent.com" <peter.roberts@alcatel-lucent.com>, pwe3 <pwe3@ietf.org>, "stephan.roullot@alcatel-lucent.com" <stephan.roullot@alcatel-lucent.com>
Subject: Re: [PWE3] draft-manhoudt-pwe3-tsop-00.txt and IP

Stewart, Yaacov and Alexander,

Thanks for your comments on draft-manhoudt-pwe3-tsop-00. It is our
intent to request the PWE3 WG to accept this document as a working group
draft. At this stage I want to address those points that could be
interpreted to  imply that the TSoP approach as such is not acceptable.
The other comments are of a less principal nature and can be addressed
later (and can probably be fixed by adapting the text).

1. TSoP does not require the termination of any STM-N overhead:
Yaakov's e-mail contains the statement: "this function is at least a
section (in SDH terminology a regenerator section) termination". I
believe that this statement is not true: There is no reason why STM-N
signals can not be carried transparently over some server layer with
minimal interaction between client and server (as should always be the
goal).

The correct architectural analogue would be to compare a TSoP PW section
to an OTN network that transports an STM-N client signal. The mapping of
an STM-16/OC-48 in an ODU1 does not require any processing of STM-N
overhead or even framing for alignment purposes: All STM-16 bits are
directly written into the OPU1 payload area. This is described in G.709
section 17.2.1. In terms of functional blocks this is described in G.798
section 14.3.1. Note that Appendix I.1 of this same Recommendation
describes the mapping of STM-N in OPU-k using OPTIONAL RS-monitoring,
just like TSoP.

Because a TSoP PW section (STM-N over PSN) is modeled to behave itself
in the same way as an STM-N over OTN section, the TSoP decapsulation
function inserts Generic AIS as defined in G.709, rather than SDH
multiplex section AIS as defined in G.707, in case the client signal is
interrupted.

As a side remark: Yaakov's mail also contains the statement: "(since it
does not divide up STM-Ns, it is not a line termination)". Note that
this directly contradicts the remark that the S1-byte must be processed.
If that were really necessary, it would not be sufficient to limit the
required SDH functionality to a regenerator section termination, but
rather a full multiplex section termination (SONET: line termination)
would be necessary, since the S1-byte is located in the MS part of the
STM-N overhead and not in the RS part: SDH regenerators pass the S1-byte
transparently.

2. TSoP passes the S1-byte transparently:
The S1-byte in the STM-N multiplex section overhead carries the
"traceability information" of the STM-N signal, i.e. the quality level
of the master clock at the beginning of a chain of slaved STM-N systems.
Normally this quality level is PRC/PRS, but during fault situations, it
may lower to SSU/ST2 or even SEC/ST3. Downstream STM-N systems can use
this information to select another reference signal or to go in
hold-over mode.

The question is now whether the passage of an STM-N signal over a
TSoP/PSN section should affect the value of the S1-byte. We believe that
this is not the case: The nature of a passage of an STM-N signal through
a TSoP Pseudowire is such that the traceability does not change, since
the (long term average of the) frequency of the STM-N signals before
entering the TSoP PW and after leaving the TSoP PW is the same: No bits
are created or deleted from the STM-N client signal. This means that if
the long term frequency accuracy of an STM-N signal is 1E-11 (i.e. it is
traceable to PRC/PRS), that this will not change by passing the TSoP PW,
i.e. the traceability is invariant.

Of course, during a failure, the TSoP decapsulation function substitutes
the G-AIS signal which is no longer frequency synchronous with the input
STM-N. In this case the downstream STM-N node will immediately detect
Loss of Frame and will no longer be able to read the S1-byte. According
to standard SDH reference selection procedures (see G.781), this node
will no longer consider such a signal to be an acceptable
synchronization reference.

3. A TSoP PWE3 can be carried over UDP/IP:
This option has been included in the TSoP draft purely because it is
present in the SAToP standard and to keep the encapsulation options
aligned. If experience has shown that transport over an UDP/IP PSN of
higher bitrate circuit emulation PW's is not recommendable, the authors
have no problem to remove this option.

Regards,
Gert Manhoudt.