Re: Issue 226: RFC 3576bis and Renumbering

Alan DeKok <aland@nitros9.org> Wed, 30 May 2007 13:17 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 15:17:24 +0200
From: Alan DeKok <aland@nitros9.org>
To: "David B. Nelson" <d.b.nelson@comcast.net>
CC: radiusext@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: Issue 226: RFC 3576bis and Renumbering

David B. Nelson wrote:
> Actually, I take that back.  One possible answer has been mentioned briefly
> in this thread, Glen's "logoff" draft
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zorn-radius-logoff-09.txt
> which allows a NAS to send messages to the RADIUS Server, and a co-located
> Dynamic Authorization Client, indicating the beginning and end of sessions.
> We have not discussed this draft in RADEXT because it relies on new RADIUS
> command codes, which are currently out of scope.

  It would be just as easy to update implementations to permit
accounting STOP messages to be sent to authentication servers.  Some
implementations already support this.  It doesn't require a new command,
and it has all of the features of the logoff draft.

  i.e. "A RADIUS authentication server MAY choose to accept
Accounting-Request packets contain Acct-Status-Type = Stop.  These
requests SHOULD be treated as a notification from the NAS that the
session has terminated.  The authentication server SHOULD update any
session database it maintains, to indicate that the session has stopped,
and then reply with an Accounting-Response packet.  The authentication
server SHOULD NOT perform any other activities normally performed by an
accounting server.  If the authentication server does not maintain a
session database, it SHOULD reply with an Accounting-Response packet,
and take no other action."

  Alan DeKok.