Re: IKEv2 issue in RFC2486bis

Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net> Sat, 14 August 2004 07:46 UTC

Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 10:46:50 +0300
From: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
To: Yoshihiro Ohba <yohba@tari.toshiba.com>
Cc: radiusext@ops.ietf.org
Subject: Re: IKEv2 issue in RFC2486bis

Thanks for bringing this issue up, Yoshihiro. I think
this problem is serious and we need to decide
what to do about it.

>From the 10.000 ft point of view, I see the following
possibilities:

o  Decide that support of privacy & international usernames
   is not necessary in IKEv2.

o  Remove the privacy and international username (not domain)
   parts from RFC 2486bis.

o  Change the international username part so that instead of
   UTF-8, it uses a IDN-like ASCII mapping which can represent
   non-ASCII characters but it looks like ASCII to the carrier.
   Either remove the privacy feature or just say it can not
   be used in all carrier protocols.

o  Define the new IKEv2 ID type as Yoshihiro suggests
   below.

Finally, does anyone have a full list of places where the
NAI can appear? Either because the protocol specs say that
a particular field is a NAI, or because people take a
particular application identifier and put it into a place
which traditionally carries a NAI (such as RADIUS User-Name).
I think we are talking about PPP, EAP, RADIUS, Diameter,
SIP and Mobile IPv4, but is this all? What do these specifications
say about non-RFC822 compliant names?

--Jari