Re: [radext] Control of RFC 3580. Transfer to RADIUS WG possible?

<lionel.morand@orange.com> Wed, 07 October 2015 14:16 UTC

From: lionel.morand@orange.com
To: Alan DeKok <aland@deployingradius.com>, Kathleen Moriarty <kathleen.moriarty.ietf@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2015 14:16:50 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.1]
Cc: Nick Lowe <nick.lowe@lugatech.com>, "radext@ietf.org" <radext@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [radext] Control of RFC 3580. Transfer to RADIUS WG possible?

This document was published as Informational RFC through ISE process, so without WG consensus, even if key IETF participants were involved in this work.

Obviously, it does not prevent RADEXT to work on a new version of this document. However, before rushing for publishing a bis-version of this document, it would be good to know what would be the purpose of this new document.
The initial aim was to have non-normative text describing how to use RADIUS with 802.1X, and this material was put in an information RFC as well as in a non-normative appendix in IEEE specification.

I know that some cleanup/updates/clarifications are required for this document. But to be really useful,  it could be interesting to know whether IEEE would be happy to endorse/reference the new version of the RFC, especially if some proposed changes have impacts on existing RADIUS implementation. Just to ensure that the proposed modifications/clarifications put in a bis-version will be followed by IEEE community.

And also, what should be the status of this document: Standard track/Informational?

Now, if the work is agreed, the proposed changes straightforward and there is no contentious discussions, I don't see why a 3-year period would be required to publish a new version. It will depend on the amount and type of change.

Regards,

Lionel