Re: questions on draft-mariblanca-aaa-eap-lla-00.txt

Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com> Sat, 17 July 2004 14:37 UTC

Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 07:37:58 -0700
From: Bernard Aboba <aboba@internaut.com>
To: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
cc: radiusext@ops.ietf.org, "David Mariblanca (EE/EEM)" <david.mariblanca@ericsson.com>
Subject: Re: questions on draft-mariblanca-aaa-eap-lla-00.txt

> But since they do exist, we are not going to do extensions that
> break backwards compatibility without a very good reason. This
> I believe is independent of any potential attempts to extend
> the data model: data model extensions, if any, would only apply
> to new attributes.

Right.  There is a proposal on the table to provide a well-defined data
model (including sub-attribute support) within an extended attribute
space, whose use will be explicitly negotiated between the RADIUS client
and server.  However, the charter explicitly forbids any non-backward
compatible changes within the standard RADIUS attribute space.