Re: [RAM] revised draft proposed definitions

Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> Tue, 12 June 2007 08:38 UTC

DKIM-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:cc:subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=Hezz4Q6vqRRzfHYts3fkl4qJ7ihYe5lMKXPauImTDhPF/BURi1dgSdH1QAQY7IK0v7R2cNuPiJqjYRbhhfNJoFqX09J81nOfbhxwoQksxjQSBEVCWBohbpjl2v6w9zWmdNnQKg8r18h/yxILx45gdxCj98rNmj9nWx+c/4zOzX8=
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:38:16 +0200
From: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
To: Tony Li <tli@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [RAM] revised draft proposed definitions
Cc: RJ Atkinson <rja@extremenetworks.com>, ram@iab.org

On 2007-06-11 22:05, Tony Li wrote:
> That still fails the test of describing what things are.  What we want
> is to take a constructive approach:
>
> An identifier is an element of a namespace.  There is a 1:1 mapping
> between the namespace and the entities being enumerated.
>

>>> Locator:    An object that is used only for forwarding packets
>>>         or determining location, never for identification.
>>
>> Same comment only in reverse ;-)  "A locator denotes presence at a
>> specific point in the network.  When one's location within a network
>> changes, one locator changes".
>

> Ok, but a locator does NOT denote reachability.  Thus, a locator is a
> string of bits that indicates a topological location.

It seems relevant to paste in the definitions I use in
draft-carpenter-idloc-map-cons. I strongly agree with Tony that
we must relate the notion of ID to a specific namespace. We may
differ slightly on Loc:

    Locator: A binary quantity (not necessarily an IP Address) that can
    be used by a routing or forwarding device to decide where to send a
    packet.

    Identifier: A binary quantity (not necessarily an IP Address) that
    can be used by a Stack "A" to uniquely identify another Stack "B"
    both for bilateral communication and for informing a third Stack "C"
    that it should communicate with Stack "B".  (Note that there is an
    assumption in this definition that a Stack is the entity we require
    to identify; in this era of virtualized servers with failover
    capabilities, and of mobile clients, this seems to be a reasonable
    assumption.)

    Namespace: a set of natural numbers, each of which is referred to as
    a name.  Since it is a set, by definition each name is unique and
    thus the namespace is unambiguous.  Locators and Identifiers must
    belong to specific namespaces.

    Namespace Context: the context within which a given namespace retains
    its uniqueness property.  (For example, the Namespace Context of the
    Namespace created by [RFC1918] is a single Internet site.)

       Brian