[Rats] Lars Eggert's No Objection on draft-ietf-rats-tpm-based-network-device-attest-11: (with COMMENT)

Lars Eggert via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 03 February 2022 12:42 UTC

From: Lars Eggert via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-rats-tpm-based-network-device-attest@ietf.org, rats-chairs@ietf.org, rats@ietf.org, ncamwing@cisco.com, ncamwing@cisco.com
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 04:42:48 -0800
Subject: [Rats] Lars Eggert's No Objection on draft-ietf-rats-tpm-based-network-device-attest-11: (with COMMENT)

Lars Eggert has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-rats-tpm-based-network-device-attest-11: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/blog/handling-iesg-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rats-tpm-based-network-device-attest/

COMMENT:

Agree with Ben's DISCUSS. This Informational document seems to want to
normatively talk about and reference quite a few other documents. However,
that's not really something an Informational document can really (normatively)
do.

Found terminology that should be reviewed for inclusivity; see
https://www.rfc-editor.org/part2/#inclusive_language for background and more
guidance:

 * Term "native"; alternatives might be "built-in", "fundamental",
   "ingrained", "intrinsic", "original" (matched "native" rule, pattern
   ((\bnative\w*\b)\w*)).

Thanks to Linda Dunbar for their General Area Review Team (Gen-ART) review
(https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/gen-art/uJfSJiH2jjpTrxAlux60VNEDF-0).

All comments below are about very minor potential issues that you may choose to
address in some way - or ignore - as you see fit. Some were flagged by
automated tools (via https://github.com/larseggert/ietf-reviewtool), so there
will likely be some false positives. There is no need to let me know what you
did with these suggestions.

Section 1.5. , paragraph 7, nit:
> station Result, used to inform decision making. In practice, this means comp
>                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The noun "decision-making" (= the process of deciding something) is spelled
with a hyphen.

Section 1.5. , paragraph 8, nit:
> ation expected by the Verifier. Subsequently the Appraisal Policy for Evidenc
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^
A comma may be missing after the conjunctive/linking adverb "Subsequently".

Section 1.6. , paragraph 3, nit:
>  attestation of Linux or other multi-threaded operating system processes aft
>                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This word is normally spelled as one.

Section 2.1.1. , paragraph 8, nit:
> ader | 8 | 9 | | (e.g GRUB2 for Linux) |
>                   ^^^
The abbreviation "e.g." (= for example) requires two periods.

Section 2.3. , paragraph 16, nit:
> arly system startup (e.g., BIOS, boot loader, OS kernel) are essentially sing
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^
This word is normally spelled as one.

Section 2.4.1. , paragraph 5, nit:
> d in [I-D.ietf-rats-architecture]. However additional prerequisites have been
>                                    ^^^^^^^
A comma may be missing after the conjunctive/linking adverb "However".

Section 4. , paragraph 10, nit:
>  redundant information, or add an additional layer of signing using external
This phrase might be redundant. Consider either removing or replacing the
adjective "additional".

Document references draft-ietf-rats-yang-tpm-charra-12, but -13 is the latest
available revision.

Document references draft-birkholz-rats-reference-interaction-model-03, but -05
is the latest available revision.

These URLs in the document can probably be converted to HTTPS:
 * http://www.uefi.org