[Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt
Carl Wallace <carl@redhoundsoftware.com> Wed, 17 June 2026 10:12 UTC
Return-Path: <carl@redhoundsoftware.com>
X-Original-To: rats@mail2.ietf.org
Delivered-To: rats@mail2.ietf.org
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4C35E102A5050 for <rats@mail2.ietf.org>; Wed, 17 Jun 2026 03:12:02 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=ietf.org; s=ietf1; t=1781691122; bh=K2pT5cdlHsgrXzSxfKrYn3tM9FRnc6ZJGR75AR1B5RY=; h=References:In-Reply-To:From:Date:Subject:To:Cc; b=UFVzJe1MxUYskKFX3YKQuqzYihvMAQpPokELJ+/uGbxai46HHt51tBLEEHqMLwBYP B9KyD3FyfBBahioYMlD6+TgwEOpZ9zFkLa69CjtziV2P50L4oENUbDEo6Zq945rbum +DWNjh7lzrSzOP4M8fDLx7XICJHqGq+ncukJY9G0=
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at ietf.org
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -2.099
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-2.099 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, DKIM_SIGNED=0.1, DKIM_VALID=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_AU=-0.1, DKIM_VALID_EF=-0.1, HTML_MESSAGE=0.001, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_NONE=-0.0001, SPF_HELO_NONE=0.001, SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Authentication-Results: mail2.ietf.org (amavisd-new); dkim=pass (1024-bit key) header.d=redhoundsoftware.com
Received: from mail2.ietf.org ([166.84.6.31]) by localhost (mail2.ietf.org [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id nujRtmWf_uyA for <rats@mail2.ietf.org>; Wed, 17 Jun 2026 03:12:01 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from mail-yw1-x1135.google.com (mail-yw1-x1135.google.com [IPv6:2607:f8b0:4864:20::1135]) (using TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (128/128 bits) key-exchange X25519 server-signature ECDSA (P-256) server-digest SHA256) (No client certificate requested) by mail2.ietf.org (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 90EF2102A4FE6 for <rats@ietf.org>; Wed, 17 Jun 2026 03:11:39 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by mail-yw1-x1135.google.com with SMTP id 00721157ae682-7e0aa486af8so6878917b3.1 for <rats@ietf.org>; Wed, 17 Jun 2026 03:11:39 -0700 (PDT)
ARC-Seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; t=1781691099; cv=none; d=google.com; s=arc-20240605; b=e5RbAB+vQtihr8SfbxvWUie5dmRCztV10+FCdXXBCjECH8pVar8LlxwAC1cCRC0F2O 5Eu4TnBt2gZAfmkXv1aQkaBSy7lGoj6qSZASlYtMkJ6brKpk5sVltx+FXYLEizYzcf5O gDqrxpvFe+sEbUeEwn8gfHcoCgzclwWL07vvInSXOFsHcyhCUlSLQ9JTd2Kf9eM49UOM 2367GsT08XdQeFmP9yH6Mqe7ePrJPLZgx2oHjmOnWBINRzLLuG1nOjylA+aOehOwtUsr A8Gcqs7JpR+/xTOCvIsfr+QIQ90PycqyDzgoxGqC//m+crWjj97jfpuHIVviHbCaG2js jvMw==
ARC-Message-Signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=google.com; s=arc-20240605; h=cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to:references :mime-version:dkim-signature; bh=QqTTWCLv65mi7QJJhDO+QDEv4GXXnWqHWGCecggZ8zE=; fh=MerGj2wb5GJHk66jZV6mJW0ODslYSMUHI//zRdcf0Aw=; b=eTCojuYwG6KlQa44Ls0Sd3EcovyuEhfsJGvhvmlzAnfrpIJ8KZepajfsDP9sbhGYgA 1HGPBQyUceukE00mV3+0WgPCCexv/4WOm+xJLoUZrzIfgtXF+kCq0PhPRes0SkPz2KOB HtoW93VDQ3yWHGpSxwL080OAz68Qsq0rskxpR5tZh2LQ3euSzmsDJoNY+JSr9WTlhm7M WU+Nn3s4rhlhjOWTh3SiFB8M9Zq4T8aszvG+HTd+QKEDb8MrLJ5SMWvC/h9wnS5css7v 0fNWoGo5yEK0RJyzFl/aB8hWBqf8+ExDmUm+ztLK429uACs0Pq+/6Rdn9ZJbkhD3cLy5 43xA==; darn=ietf.org
ARC-Authentication-Results: i=1; mx.google.com; arc=none
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=redhoundsoftware.com; s=google; t=1781691099; x=1782295899; darn=ietf.org; h=cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to:references :mime-version:from:to:cc:subject:date:message-id:reply-to; bh=QqTTWCLv65mi7QJJhDO+QDEv4GXXnWqHWGCecggZ8zE=; b=z0+lFEikjudidjLi5nV8yznsaW79GMctW9ZDCO9qrmAvmrSuqsU9FCJt1jJyLNBE/x O8BJUAi2JGB5xMo/AH8V8h2pL83Qq4J/hw/CWcTY1XsbLAzybunDkg2xcFd8ZHnWUiX8 p5LAyeT574bdgJjse06NH3Q2uBNDV+UX3PRN8=
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=1e100.net; s=20251104; t=1781691099; x=1782295899; h=cc:to:subject:message-id:date:from:in-reply-to:references :mime-version:x-gm-gg:x-gm-message-state:from:to:cc:subject:date :message-id:reply-to; bh=QqTTWCLv65mi7QJJhDO+QDEv4GXXnWqHWGCecggZ8zE=; b=qzljUjMr3jcJF7QooWZ84ppdcpWc8i3SfDa4669g0QxWU7rsDv/SVv1kK1AItGo/kd oArhc+1Q91ULMo9cw5tiPpDvRZg5OC28RQwaE1ggthveNzztiK1sk5OXuuuxJkyuRQju +HvGACoUlSByfCqiPN+mjSWLPBior/aXfRCrl/wQxWth2Fa6YOg2cQGa85ZAmgo7Rjw4 XguP7V/Urhdbq//64AGQcq84O3slyT4z0WCNfsWwVZy+sFJZG1JU8oYxFjQ7hdTwxpKK qTAl4Vq6Gt+HxVbcGqC5TsF7AtKREWhl+h905UmwfyoPq07aClAi5DiFGly6RjIA/wrS BqwA==
X-Gm-Message-State: AOJu0YxfrAv/ZWhYsfdPVG/0JfsBQIMkzsPtEyPmNdnxPjRtfm+rzFNY dQevsVpYM3+2rDvcNy0uUzQTl1aWVvvDeCyeSc4A39jglMZJsF+bP+Bl26rstWjL4tfK7lrf/RV N4MMkrPsz53u7RTUpEt78Xgpzf012TZxySfZIkcchFvb8+ZnB6miuFe7kiQ==
X-Gm-Gg: AfdE7cmocjgtYMVPRHDrcxemhEPFfZuHiLLbhBowkRd53zRUyYWpGWuMF/3ZHZvlANJ RG77lezk80TDm90hovBfSrrSjsGdCjbD/TJNhexJ11sWwFYloVF4Sr6MBg4sKEs+pVB1o4EPyWO 7XNVLemdww7LZHdxB/HhAFBQawu7xa0MytqF+cGa71dC2Y1DdCH9TaaGJFszBRUP9g5NFTU8dIk DD4lzkzDmxVqQmMUdsbB4lmuPdWx804AR6S2+GUniro3eIPIJsY7/eaYYxMRzOKTP/q7mUH36rF bbNza5JpruHI1kGCdHaUxE0E+A1S/KNziPdeDXxY
X-Received: by 2002:a05:690c:95:b0:7de:8229:e86e with SMTP id 00721157ae682-7fe752d0b2cmr16586817b3.21.1781691098954; Wed, 17 Jun 2026 03:11:38 -0700 (PDT)
MIME-Version: 1.0
References: <177979461501.860642.12102997924387917673@dt-datatracker-5b4c8598b5-4ztf9> <CA+1=6ycGS0_aWN2QS0NekBc5G+02M8h3buhado90rrwgvFsM-Q@mail.gmail.com> <14c17207-95ba-391a-f05c-180c6de66666@ietf.contact> <CA+1=6yfrNaqQUnMuQMo9XCYOqa_7K34eS+59+wsU3eJRfErONg@mail.gmail.com> <1971324.1779996819@dyas> <CA+1=6ydMA4-M1hsvYedH8qOsPmoF4HRsaGunCppsxU7T7yx86Q@mail.gmail.com> <11839.1780168291@obiwan.sandelman.ca> <CAHxYnaP9xgGO3RJ32uRC764QW5nUfspGwc+Wwp5YaopsuLGaag@mail.gmail.com> <3080.1780934453@obiwan.sandelman.ca> <CA+1=6yeqSgcR1sXTNYD98Zy5aTDK8mY9d8kbq4k9Vm5VitQRrw@mail.gmail.com> <11827.1781016447@obiwan.sandelman.ca> <5C0A3729-A301-4F0F-BCE1-B370E8F2E5EA@redhoundsoftware.com> <CAHxYnaPSdsL9hMPJ6PnvfiDQkcaXk=jbMOxFMFMZ3T3UMi8vpA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <CAHxYnaPSdsL9hMPJ6PnvfiDQkcaXk=jbMOxFMFMZ3T3UMi8vpA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Carl Wallace <carl@redhoundsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2026 06:11:28 -0400
X-Gm-Features: AVVi8CfTprSMVjXf4IDuM0UPpNQuHTTt6PoHURPJ-vnzFh4YfjdTWHDEFsdDj3w
Message-ID: <CAGNP4Bn_xa68ZTAmXAeoAqVr_G2qne+vR4tk+N90if3YDZ2S6w@mail.gmail.com>
To: Nathanael Ritz <nathanritz@gmail.com>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="0000000000000d8b8b06547049b7"
Message-ID-Hash: RLFKNE2BA342K5TZXLXSRBEK7JLYUTFZ
X-Message-ID-Hash: RLFKNE2BA342K5TZXLXSRBEK7JLYUTFZ
X-MailFrom: carl@redhoundsoftware.com
X-Mailman-Rule-Misses: dmarc-mitigation; no-senders; approved; emergency; loop; banned-address; member-moderation; header-match-rats.ietf.org-0; nonmember-moderation; administrivia; implicit-dest; max-recipients; max-size; news-moderation; no-subject; digests; suspicious-header
CC: rats@ietf.org, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>, Thomas Fossati <thomas.fossati@linaro.org>, Henk Birkholz <henk.birkholz@ietf.contact>
X-Mailman-Version: 3.3.9rc6
Precedence: list
Subject: [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt
List-Id: Remote ATtestation procedureS <rats.ietf.org>
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/rats/gTcn6kU_PDP7gZ3advn3K1rlj7Y>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/rats>
List-Help: <mailto:rats-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Owner: <mailto:rats-owner@ietf.org>
List-Post: <mailto:rats@ietf.org>
List-Subscribe: <mailto:rats-join@ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:rats-leave@ietf.org>
On Sat, Jun 13, 2026 at 5:37 PM Nathanael Ritz <nathanritz@gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> > >> Why does this matter? because libraries that load it, without
> bringing in a full DER parser.
>
> > [CW] As we get into the PQ key era, these structures can just be
> templates for byte arrays, so a DER parser would not be needed if this is
> the only residual ASN.1 definition in use. Side note, it's not the DER that
> is "unnecessary" it's the PEM wrapper that is unnecessary:-)
>
> [NR] Correct me if I am wrong, but am I understanding correctly that the
> DER format is still unavoidable in the case of PQ keys?
>
Take a look at RFC 9881 (though it is not alone in this practice):
pk-ml-dsa-44 PUBLIC-KEY ::= {
IDENTIFIER id-ml-dsa-44
-- KEY no ASN.1 wrapping --
CERT-KEY-USAGE
{ digitalSignature, nonRepudiation, keyCertSign, cRLSign }
PRIVATE-KEY ML-DSA-44-PrivateKey } -- defined in Section 6
My point was that unlike RSA keys, there is no ASN.1 conveyed via the
subjectPublicKey field in SubjectPublicKeyInfo. There is still the DER in
the SubjectPublicKeyInfo, but with the algorithm field having a fixed value
per key type and the length being known, you could just read the leading
bytes as a template (without having a DER parser). Thomas is right that you
can't escape DER in all scenarios but where just talking about
SubjectPublicKeyInfo you may be able to.
- [Rats] I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt internet-drafts
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Thomas Fossati
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Henk Birkholz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Thomas Fossati
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Michael Richardson
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Thomas Fossati
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Michael Richardson
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Nathanael Ritz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Thomas Fossati
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Nathanael Ritz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Michael Richardson
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Thomas Fossati
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Michael Richardson
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Henk Birkholz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Ionut Mihalcea
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Henk Birkholz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Thomas Fossati
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Ionut Mihalcea
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Henk Birkholz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Henk Birkholz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Thomas Fossati
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Michael Richardson
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Nathanael Ritz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Thomas Fossati
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Nathanael Ritz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Henk Birkholz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Thomas Fossati
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Henk Birkholz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Thomas Fossati
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Manu Fontaine
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Henk Birkholz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Nathanael Ritz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Henk Birkholz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Thomas Fossati
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Henk Birkholz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Thomas Fossati
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Henk Birkholz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Thomas Fossati
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Henk Birkholz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Michael Richardson
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Thomas Fossati
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Henk Birkholz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Carl Wallace
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Nathanael Ritz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Ned Smith IETF
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Nathanael Ritz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Nathanael Ritz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Muhammad Usama Sardar
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Nathanael Ritz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Carl Wallace
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Thomas Fossati
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Henk Birkholz
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Ionut Mihalcea
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Michael Richardson
- [Rats] Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-… Greg Kostal
- [Rats] Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-… Thomas Fossati
- [Rats] Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-… Greg Kostal
- [Rats] Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-… Thomas Fossati
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Carl Wallace
- [Rats] Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-rats-ear-04.txt Michael Richardson