Re: [Rats] RATS use cases review

"Panwei (William)" <william.panwei@huawei.com> Thu, 11 July 2019 10:14 UTC

From: "Panwei (William)" <william.panwei@huawei.com>
To: "jmfmckay@gmail.com" <jmfmckay@gmail.com>, "Xialiang (Frank, Network Standard & Patent Dept)" <frank.xialiang@huawei.com>
CC: "rats@ietf.org" <rats@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 10:14:10 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.134.37.117]
Subject: Re: [Rats] RATS use cases review

Hi Jessica and Frank,

The RATS charter says to standardize the information model for assertions/claims about system components characteristics scoped by the specific use-cases, so I think identifying what information should be attested is helpful. But the RATS charter also says to standardize interoperable protocols to securely convey assertions/claims, and I think categorizing the use case based on the type of information collected may not help archive this goal.
Different devices/services have different characteristics and different requirements, for example, the network devices like routers and switches are all composited devices and may have the out-of-band links for doing the RA, while the IoT devices are more resources-constrained and may have to use the public Internet.
In order to prevent omissions, I suggest that we can first categorize the use cases by the devices/services (in other word, Attester) types, then consider the how the RA can be used by these devices/services (including the function requirements and trigger conditions, e.g., attesting the device’s boot processes after it reboots), and last analysis how these devices/services do the RA (including what information should be attested and what requirements should the conveying protocols have).
After such analysis, if we find that there are not many differences among different devices/services, we can re-adjust the sections. But before the analysis done, I don’t know if we can foresee the differences don’t exist.

Regards & Thanks!
潘伟 Wei Pan
华为技术有限公司 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.