RE: [Raven] CALEA & Electronic Surveillance of packet networks (f wd)

Chris Savage <chris.savage@crblaw.com> Thu, 24 February 2000 11:27 UTC

From: Chris Savage <chris.savage@crblaw.com>
To: "'mikus@bga.com '" <mikus@bga.com>, "'raven@ietf.org '" <raven@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [Raven] CALEA & Electronic Surveillance of packet networks (f wd)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 06:30:06 -0500
Sender: raven-admin@ietf.org

-----Original Message-----
From: mikus@bga.com
To: raven@ietf.org
Sent: 2/23/00 6:04 PM

>The nanog mailing list (to which I do not subscribe) carries an
>announcement of ballotting by TIA and Committee T1 on the second
>revision of J-STD-025, which is described as the only "safe harbor"
>standard that currently exists for CALEA.

<snip>

TIA is slightly in error, I think.  The J-STD, as amended by the FCC in some
orders from 8/99, is the only safe harbor that has been approved by the FCC.
A CALEA "safe harbor" exists, however (at least as I read the law) as soon
as it has been made publicly available by the relevant standards
body/industry group that developed it.  I know that CableLabs (the research
arm of the US cable industry) has generated one for voice communications
over cable systems.  I think that the PCIA (a wireless communications trade
association) has also generated one for paging services.  There may be
others as well.

Chris S.