RE: [Raven] Internet Draft comments

Ed Stone <estone@synernet.com> Wed, 16 February 2000 15:23 UTC

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 09:57:02 -0500
To: raven@ietf.org
From: Ed Stone <estone@synernet.com>
Subject: RE: [Raven] Internet Draft comments
Sender: raven-admin@ietf.org

The draft is a good general document, in my view, but it should be judged
in light of how it will be applied. For example, if evaluated as a limited
technical document expressing a general policy, I think it serves that
purpose adequately. If evaluated as a clear, complete and unambiguous
statement that plugs all loopholes that government lawyers may want to find
in it by way of pointing to industry and user support for some kind of
intrusion, experience teaches us that any crevice will be so exploited.

If the draft needs only to serve the former purpose, I think it is
sufficient, with one modification: the wiretapping definition should
include intercepts whether they are targeted or untargeted, whether
processed in realtime or stored for potential subsequent processing.

If the draft is exploited by a government entity to declare industry and
user acceptance of some further intrusion, it has ample crevices to
accomodate that, unintended as that usage might be by the overwhelming
consensus expressed at the meeting and in this list.

I assume we should judge the draft by the former criteria, and protest
loudly if the latter exploitation comes forth.