Re: [regext] Extension Prefixes, JSON Values, and URI Path Segments

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Wed, 01 June 2022 09:55 UTC

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 11:53:06 +0200
To: Jasdip Singh <jasdips@arin.net>, "Gould, James" <jgould@verisign.com>, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, "regext@ietf.org" <regext@ietf.org>
From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
Subject: Re: [regext] Extension Prefixes, JSON Values, and URI Path Segments

Hi Jasdip,

please find my comments embedded.

Il 31/05/2022 22:20, Jasdip Singh ha scritto:
> Hi Mario,
>
> Few comments, and one suggestion.
>
> Thanks,
> Jasdip
>
> On 5/30/22, 4:50 AM, "Mario Loffredo" <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> wrote:
>
>      Hi Jasdip,
>
>      the current approach appears unpractical to me as it results in managing
>      all the changes in the same manner regardless their scope.
>
> [JS] Consistency is the key point. Per the Breakage Analysis section in the RDAP Extensions Analysis doc I had shared earlier [1], the current approach -- tight coupling between extension identifier and rdapConformance value -- seems to afford us zero collisions and near-zero breakage for various change scenarios, and that should be a good thing, no?. To your point, yes, there are few scenarios (especially during transition for an extension vis-à-vis an existing path without that extension identifier in it) where sending data for both the old and new extension identifier in a response sounds inefficient but that's the trade-off with a consistent, collision- and breakage-free extension model.
>
> [1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iadJc1D2-z_9pSy0PNcl4mhEQglh7dIHhbmRgrCW6mc/edit?usp=sharing

[ML] Approach A will raise breakage issues as, at least according to a
strict interpretation of what is stated in the existing RFCs, every
change will result in replacing old features with new ones through a
deprecation process.

I agree with you that it will be consistent and collision-free but In my
opinion it will introduce more complexity for both clients and servers
whereas things could be managed straightforwardly.

Tom has replied to this objection of mine presenting some workarounds
that could be used to figure out some use cases without necessarily
starting a deprecation procedure.

Nevertheless, it seems to me those workarounds require the handling of
additional features beyond those involved by the change itself (e.g. in
the case of a non breaking change to response extension, the usage of a
specific field containing the conformance value).

REST API implemeters are well aware that breaking changes should be
avoided as far as possible. Most of changes to REST services consist in
adding new features rather than deleting, replacing or changing old ones.

That being agreed , can't really understand why we should go in the
opposite direction and  basically reset the gains from using REST and,
above all, JSON.

Most of version changes could be signaled on server side by simply
adding a value in the rdapConformance array instead of dealing with a
deprecation process and providing clients with information about sunset
and complete replacement of old features.

>      A unified apporach is always advisable except in those cases where it
>      results in adding complexity where it is unneeded. And I suspect  that
>      this would be one of those cases.
>
>      Indeed, handling every change (at least reading strictly the RFCs)
>      through a transition process would be a mess for server operators.
>
> [JS] It doesn't look like we need any extraneous transition process beside listing the from and to extension identifiers in the rdapConformance array. Please see below one plausible way for jcard-to-jscontact transition using solely the current approach.
[ML] Think that deprecations are tricky and transition processes should
be used carefully and only when the change to the REST API is relevant
such as the replacement of jCard with JSCard.

> [...]
>      ]
>    }
> }
>
> Phase 2: jscard_0 extension (available along with jcard)
>
> p = entity/<handle>
>
> {
>    “rdapConformance” : [
>      “rdap_level_0”,
>      “jscard_0”
>    ],
>    {
>      …,
>      "vcardArray" : [
>        …
>       ],
>      “jscard_0” : {
>        …
>      }
>    }
> }
>
> Phase 3: no_jcard extension (jcard data no more in response)
>
> p = entity/<handle>
>
> {
>    “rdapConformance” : [
>      “rdap_level_0”,
>      “jscard_0”,
>      “no_jcard”
>    ],
>    {
>      …,
>      “jscard_0” : {
>        …
>      }
>    }
> }
>
> Phase 4: jscard_1 extension (has a new field beside the jscard_0 data)
>
> p = entity/<handle>
>
> {
>    “rdapConformance” : [
>      “rdap_level_0”,
>      “jscard_0”,
>      “no_jcard”,
>      “jscard_1”
>    ],
>    {
>      …,
>      “jscard_0” : {
>        …
>      },
>      “jscard_1” : {
>        …,
>        “new_field” : …
>      }
>    }
> }
>
> Phase 5: Transition from jscard_0 to jscard_1 after a sufficient grace period for clients
>
> p = entity/<handle>
>
> {
>    “rdapConformance” : [
>      “rdap_level_0”,
>      “no_jcard”,
>      “jscard_1”
>    ],
>    {
>      …,
>      “jscard_1” : {
>        …
>      }
>    }
> }
>
>      Non-breaking changes can be more easily managed and signaled by server
>      operators by adding a minor version in rdapConformance array and an
>      optional link to the related documentation in the response. That's it.

[ML] The rdap-jscontact draft defines two query parameters to make an
RDAP server return only one between JSCard and jCard.  I consider it a
valuable choice as it restricts  the response payload (significantly for
search response) and permits clients to receive JSCard only when they
are ready to process it.

That apart, your example represents the scenario where the transition
from jscard_0 to jscard_1 comes later the transition from vcardArray to
jscard_0,  not simultaneously.

Anyway, if returning three times almost the same considerable
information wouldn't be likely, returning it twice would occur each time
JSCard (or even jCard) was changed.

> [JS] One suggestion. To help settle and/or move forward the discussion vis-a-vis if we should stick with the current approach (tight coupling), or evolve using the proposed approach (lack of tight coupling), it would be great if we could review and discuss the Breakage Analysis section in https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iadJc1D2-z_9pSy0PNcl4mhEQglh7dIHhbmRgrCW6mc/edit?usp=sharing and decide whether the breakage points matter for various change scenarios or not.

[ML] By a strict interpretation of Approach A, every change would result
in a replacement of something. Since replacing a feature with another
one, a.k.a. deprecation, is considered a breaking change in the REST
contract, Approach A would appear to me penalized in that sense, unless
we agree on more sustainable solutions reflecting a different
interpretation of Approach A like for example those outlined by Tom (see
above).

However, I remain more inclined to follow Approach B or C (the latter
seems more likely ).

Best,

Mario