Re: [regext] Extension Prefixes, JSON Values, and URI Path Segments

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Mon, 30 May 2022 08:50 UTC

Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 10:48:16 +0200
To: Jasdip Singh <jasdips@arin.net>, "Gould, James" <jgould=40verisign.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>, "regext@ietf.org" <regext@ietf.org>
From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
Subject: Re: [regext] Extension Prefixes, JSON Values, and URI Path Segments

Hi Jasdip,

the current approach appears unpractical to me as it results in managing
all the changes in the same manner regardless their scope.

A unified apporach is always advisable except in those cases where it
results in adding complexity where it is unneeded. And I suspect  that
this would be one of those cases.

Indeed, handling every change (at least reading strictly the RFCs)
through a transition process would be a mess for server operators.

Let's imagine, for example, how a possible non-breaking change in
JSContact representation impacting on the RDAP response could be managed
while the possible transition from VCARD to JSContact was still in place.

Server operators may have to deal with a transition within another
transition ?!?!

Non-breaking changes can be more easily managed and signaled by server
operators by adding a minor version in rdapConformance array and an
optional link to the related documentation in the response. That's it.

Cheers,

Mario