Re: [regext] [Ext] regarding adopting new documents and milestones

Gustavo Lozano <gustavo.lozano@icann.org> Sat, 27 October 2018 00:16 UTC

From: Gustavo Lozano <gustavo.lozano@icann.org>
To: James Galvin <galvin@elistx.com>, Registration Protocols Extensions <regext@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2018 00:16:54 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.0.32.234]
Subject: Re: [regext] [Ext] regarding adopting new documents and milestones

Antoin, Jim, et.al.

My understanding of this message is that only a certain number of I-Ds will be allowed to be adopted as WG documents.

If my understanding is correct, I feel uncomfortable with defining a number, because it appears to exist a recent enthusiasm for creating I-Ds (probably related to the popularity of registration data privacy in several jurisdictions) and having an artificial gate could push authors and implementers to define the standards outside of the WG/IETF.

My preference is for allowing any I-D, that the WG believes that is a good fit, to be adopted. If a subset of the WG participants or non-participants want to get involved in the development of an I-D that is not part of the milestones, they should be free to do so, and the I-D should be allowed to reach RFC status based on the number of reviewers, running code and the last calls.

Regards,
Gustavo