Re: [regext] Murray Kucherawy's No Objection on draft-ietf-regext-rfc7482bis-02: (with COMMENT)

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Mon, 22 February 2021 13:03 UTC

From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
To: Jasdip Singh <jasdips@arin.net>, "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck=40verisign.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, "superuser@gmail.com" <superuser@gmail.com>, "iesg@ietf.org" <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: "draft-ietf-regext-rfc7482bis@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-regext-rfc7482bis@ietf.org>, "regext-chairs@ietf.org" <regext-chairs@ietf.org>, "regext@ietf.org" <regext@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 14:02:42 +0100
Subject: Re: [regext] Murray Kucherawy's No Objection on draft-ietf-regext-rfc7482bis-02: (with COMMENT)

Hi guys,

please find my comments below.

Il 21/02/2021 19:32, Jasdip Singh ha scritto:
> Hello Scott,
>
> Please find my comment below.
>
> Jasdip
>
> On 2/18/21, 11:13 AM, "regext on behalf of Hollenbeck, Scott"<regext-bounces@ietf.org on behalf of
> shollenbeck=40verisign.com@dmarc.ietf.org>  wrote:

[ML] I guess that SHOULD was used instead of MUST because the asterisk
character is meaningful only for those servers implementing partial
matching, otherwise it is like any other character. Partial matching is
optional and REST API providers generally ignores capabilities they
don't support. For example, unrecognized optional query parameters are
simply ignored when unsupported.

However, I agree that a server must inform the client that partial
matching is not allowed just to disambiguate the 404 response received
when the asterisk character is meaningless from the same response when
it is meaningful but no results are found.

Best,

Mario