Re: [regext] I-D Action: draft-ietf-regext-tmch-func-spec-00.txt

Gustavo Lozano <gustavo.lozano@icann.org> Fri, 17 June 2016 22:14 UTC

From: Gustavo Lozano <gustavo.lozano@icann.org>
To: James Galvin <galvin@elistx.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 22:13:52 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.0.35.1]
Cc: "regext@ietf.org" <regext@ietf.org>, Patrik Fältström <paf@frobbit.se>
Subject: Re: [regext] I-D Action: draft-ietf-regext-tmch-func-spec-00.txt

Jim and Patrick,

I thought provided a response to your questions, but if not,, please let me
know specific issues and I will try to address them promptly.

Let me try to explain the approach of the draft.

The Trademark Validator (TMV) implements an algorithm
(https://newgtlds.icann.org/en/about/trademark-clearinghouse/matching-rules-
24sep12-en.pdf ) to translate a trademark into one or more (permutations are
possible) A-labels or NR-LDH labels (i.e. potential labels for registration
and/or protection), which I added as a normative reference in my draft. The
potential labels for registration and/or protection are included in the SMD,
sunrise and claims lists.

During the sunrise period, a registry needs to validate that the domain name
being allocated is included in the list of potential labels for registration
within the SMD.

During claims, a registry needs to validate the assertion that the Registrar
showed a claims notice if the domain name being allocated is included in the
claims list.

The RPM requirements document
(https://newgtlds.icann.org/en/about/trademark-clearinghouse/rpm-requirement
s-30sep13-en.pdf ) defines the requirements in case of IDN variants:
"During the Claims Period, if Registry Operator has established IDN variant
policies for Allocation of domain names in the TLD, Registry Operator must
check all labels in a variant set against the Domain Name Label List before
any domain names in the set are registered. "

People may not agree with the algorithm used by the TMV, but this document
was defined in the context of the new gTLD program. Even if the algorithm
were to be updated, the specification defined in my draft continues to be
the same, because it uses the output of the algorithm as a black box.

The matching rules document is now part of the "Normative References", and
it is mentioned in the Glossary, in order to allow a reader to understand
the complete picture of the TMCH/TMDB model, but a developer (TMDB, Registry
or Registrar) of this draft should be able to implement the requirements
without knowing about the [MatchingRules].

Regards,
Gustavo