Re: [regext] WG LAST CALL: draft-ietf-regext-rdap-reverse-search

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Wed, 06 April 2022 08:20 UTC

Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 10:18:04 +0200
To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck=40verisign.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, "regext@ietf.org" <regext@ietf.org>
From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
Subject: Re: [regext] WG LAST CALL: draft-ietf-regext-rdap-reverse-search

Hi Scott,

please find my comments inline.

Il 05/04/2022 18:26, Hollenbeck, Scott ha scritto:
> [...]

[ML] JSContact doesn't introduce any additional required property. The
reverse search properties defined in this document are conventional
names to be used as query parameters. The only possible change resulted
from switching to JSContact would affect some of the JSONPath
expressions presented in this document to uniquely map those names to
the RDAP response fields. For example,  "$..entities[*].jscard.fullName"
would be the JSONPath expression related to the "fn" research search
property.

Would it sound good to you if I clarified such a concept by adding some
text?

> If so, it might be worth noting that these search properties can be affected by RDAP extensions that modify RDAP data structures.

[ML] As stated in section 2.1, servers are allowed to implement other
properties than those defined. These additional reverse search
properties would be defined out-of-band, just as it would happen for
RDAP response extensions.

Are you  suggesting to use an in-band mechanism (like "sorting_metadata"
of RFC8977) by which servers can provide clients with the list of
available reverse search properties?

> It might also mean that the JSContact draft will need to include some text to describe reverse search implications of the data structures it describes.

[ML] Don't see the need for that. Currently, JSContact includes the same
information as jCard so IMO there are no JSContact-specific implications
on reverse search.

Best,

Mario