Re: [regext] AD review of draft-ietf-regext-rdap-sorting-and-paging-14

Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it> Tue, 28 July 2020 11:52 UTC

To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>, "draft-ietf-regext-rdap-sorting-and-paging.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-regext-rdap-sorting-and-paging.all@ietf.org>
Cc: regext <regext@ietf.org>
From: Mario Loffredo <mario.loffredo@iit.cnr.it>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 13:48:57 +0200
Subject: Re: [regext] AD review of draft-ietf-regext-rdap-sorting-and-paging-14

Hi Barry,

thanks a lot for your review and feedback. I provide my responses to
your feedback below.

Il 24/07/2020 21:27, Barry Leiba ha scritto:
> As with partial-response, I really appreciate the recent editorial
> work on this document:  Version -14 is easy to read and mostly clear,
> and it’s almost ready for last call.  I have some review comments
> below; most are minor, but the ones about Section 2.3 and Table 2 need
> to be addressed before last call.  I’ll put this into “revised I-D
> needed” state, and please let me know if you have questions or
> disagreement with my comments below.
>
> — Section 1 —
>
>    operators for counting, sorting and paging rows are currently
>    supported by the major RDBMSs.
>
> You use “RDBMSs” here and in Section 4, and it’s not a central term to
> the document, but it should be expanded at least on first use.  I
> suggest simply using “relational database management systems” in both
> places, and avoiding the abbreviation and having to explain it.

[ML] No problem.
> — Section 1.1 —
> Please use the exact BCP 14 boilerplate from RFC 8174.

[ML] OK.
> — Section 2.1 —
>
>    Such information is collected in two OPTIONAL response
>    elements named, respectively, "sorting_metadata" and
>    "paging_metadata".
>
> Please remove “, respectively,” as it’s misused: there’s nothing to
> match the two names up with, so no reason to use “respectively”.
[ML] OK.

>    o  "totalCount": "Numeric" (OPTIONAL) a numeric value representing
>       the total number of objects found.  It MUST be provided if the
>       query string contains the "count" parameter;
>
> Section 2.2 says also that it MUST NOT be provided otherwise, and I
> suggest adding that here as well: ‘It MUST be provided if the query
> string contains the "count" parameter, and MUST NOT be provided
> otherwise;’, or perhaps ‘It MUST be provided if and only if the query
> string contains the "count" parameter;’.  I also wonder whether the
> same thing is true for pageSize and pageNumber.
[ML] Opted for "if and only if". The same doen't work for for pageSize
and pageNumber because thy are provided depending on the comparison
between the maximum number of results returned in a  page and the total
number of objects found.

>       This property is redundant for clients because the page size can
>       be derived from the length of the search results array but it can
>       be helpful if the end user interacts with the server through a web
>       browser;
>
> But a web browser is a client too.  I suggest “redundant for some
> clients”; what do you think?  I also suggest a comma before “but”, to
> break the long sentence up a little.
[ML] I propose "RDAP clients". Is it okay?

> — Section 2.3 —
>
>    If IP
>    addresses are represented as JSON strings, they MUST be sorted based
>    on their numeric conversion.
>
> I think most people will understand this, but I also think it’s not
> clearly specified.  What does the “numeric conversion” of, say,
> 10.0.0.9 mean?  How does “their numeric conversion” explain that
> 8.8.8.8 sorts lower than 10.0.0.9 ? And I think it’s yet more
> complicated with v6 addresses.  I’d like to see a *little* clearer
> explanation of what you mean, even though I know what you mean and
> even though I think most readers will.  I want to make sure that all
> readers will.

[ML] Agreed. Could it be fine something like in the following?

The conversion of an IPv4 address to a number is possible since each
dotted format IPv4 address is a representation of a number written in a
256-based manner: 192.168.0.1 means 1*256^0 + 0*256^1 + 168*256^2 +
192*256^3 = 3232235521.  Similarly,  an IPv6 address can be converted
into a number by applying the base 65536. Therefore, the numerical
representation of the IPv6 address
2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334 is
42540766452641154071740215577757643572.   Builtin functions and
libraries for converting IP addresses into numbers are available in most
known programming languages and relational database management systems.

> — Section 2.3.1 —
>
>    identifies the root of the document (DOM)..
>
> Use your judgment on this one, because I’m not sure what the right
> approach is: “document (DOM)” isn’t really right, but “document object
> model (DOM)” feels unnecessary and awkward.  Consider this comment and
> let me know what you think is best (including leaving it as it is, or
> perhaps just removing “(DOM)”).
[ML] I would opt for "document object model (DOM)"

>    (e.g. links, notices, remarks, etc.)
>
> Nit: Here and elsewhere: “e.g.” and “etc.” together is redundant...
> you shouldn’t have both.  I suggest leaving the former and removing
> the latter.  Also, “e.g.” needs a comma after it, so: “(e.g., links,
> notices, remarks)”.

[ML} OK.
> In the first and second columns of Table 1, it is really awkward to
> have the words “searchable”, “nameserver”, and “properties” split
> between two lines.  I think you can manage it if you make the last
> column one character narrower.  Also, why are there trailing “.” in
> column 4?

[ML] Removed the trailing dots and made the layout more readable by
splitting "unicodeName/ldhName"

> Table 2, in contrast, is extremely hard to read, because everything is
> broken up onto multiple lines.  It’s visual chaos.  Clearly, there’s
> no way to make the table work otherwise, so maybe it’s better to come
> up with a different way to present the information, probably using an
> xml2rfc list structure instead?
[ML] OK. I rearrange the table as a list.

> — Section 5 —
> Please change the contact to “IETF” instead of “IESG”.

[ML] OK.

Hope to publish the new version in a couple of days, after your reply to
my questions anyway.

Best,

Mario