[Widex] WiDeX and XUP

"Jin Yu" <jyu@openxup.org> Tue, 09 May 2006 00:17 UTC

From: Jin Yu <jyu@openxup.org>
To: widex@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 15:49:14 -0700
Subject: [Widex] WiDeX and XUP

Hi,

I just went through the WiDeX charter and requirements draft. It's very
interesting. I find it shares many goals with XUP (Extensible User Interface
Protocol), which was published as a W3C Note 4 years ago:
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xup/>.

XUP focuses on XML-based user interfaces languages (e.g. XUL, XAML, XHTML)
and manipulates DOM instances of those languages. XUP has two main concepts:
UI updates and UI events.

In XUP, UI updates are just remote DOM manipulations (add, remove, update
elements, etc.) of a UI model, which is a DOM instance of an XML UI
language. In addition, the UI updates are bi-directional. That is, the user
agent sends UI updates to server, containing end user's direct manipulations
as well as the UI changes made by client-side scripts; and the server sends
UI updates to the user agent, containing server-side application's changes
to the UI model.

On the other hand, UI events are events generated by the end user operating
the user agent; e.g. mouse-click, key-press. XUP allows any UI events to be
sent from the user agent to the server. Event details are defined by
concrete UI languages such as XUL and XAML. In addition, XUP supports
multiple event models. It supports DOM-style capture / bubbling events, as
well as Java Swing-style delegation-based events.

Currently XUP uses SOAP as the transport protocol. However, the SOAP binding
is not critical, and XUP could be used with other transport mechanisms as
well.

We have built an open source project OpenXUP (<http://www.openxup.org>) on
top of XUP. On that web site you can find an implementation prototype as
well as some research papers we have published.

I hope XUP and OpenXUP will be a useful reference material for this WG.

Regards,

Jin