Re: [renum] draft-liu-6renum-gap-analysis-03

"Leo Liu(bing)" <leo.liubing@huawei.com> Wed, 14 December 2011 03:05 UTC

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 03:03:29 +0000
From: "Leo Liu(bing)" <leo.liubing@huawei.com>
To: Ran Atkinson <ran.atkinson@gmail.com>, Sheng Jiang <jiangsheng@huawei.com>
Cc: "renum@ietf.org" <renum@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [renum] draft-liu-6renum-gap-analysis-03

Hi, Ran

Thanks for your comments. See replies inline please.

[Bing] Our company also uses Microsoft, I think we need a brief investigation on whether it is quite common, then we can update the draft accordingly.

> Unlike UNIX deployments of BIND, which stand alone,
> Microsoft reportedly has fully integrated DNS with
> other services (e.g. DHCP, Windows Work groups) inside
> the Microsoft Windows Server.
>
> So reports say that there is no "flat file" with DNS entries.
> Reportedly, there is also no "loading of the DNS entries".
> Instead, there is full integration of DNS with the
> other services, and things are GUI-based and systemic
> for the whole deployment.
>
> I'm told that Apple's MacOS X Server takes a very
> similar approach to Microsoft Windows Server, with
> integration and a GUI front-end for the whole deployment.
> Apple apparently does use BIND code behind-the-scenes,
> but system administrators never interact with BIND
> directly and again there are no "flat files" to load
> because everything is behind a common server GUI.

[Bing] If it is true, I think we can add something like "if you deploy Microsoft/apple, the DDNS issue is much easier" after the relevant gap analysis. The gap itself is still meaningful, since it is a real problem if we didn't deploy the integrated solutions like ms/apple.

> > We will contact Cricket Liu for the detail and
> > how common this is. We will update our text accordingly.
>
> Why not start first by reading his book (which is quite clear) ?
> It is a published O'Reilly book and should be readily available.
>
> According to the book, Microsoft Windows Server automatically
> enables Dynamic DNS Update between the Windows clients and
> the Windows server in a number of situations.  So deployment
> of Dynamic DNS UPdate is proportional to deployments of
> Microsoft Windows server, which ought to be pretty common
> in an enterprise scenario.

[Bing] I searched his book online, but it seems it's not easy to get one in China, hope there could be Chinese version in the future :)
We can seek other relevant books/materials.

> >> In Section 10, the above draft in part says:
> >>

> >> If one thinks that configuring keys for Secure Dynamic
> >> DNS Update is difficult or challenging, then it is
> >> unavoidable to conclude that neither Secure DHCPv6
> >> nor SEND are actually deployable at present.
> >>
> >> I think the problems with key management deserve their
> >> own subsection in Section 10 -- as a category of "gap"
> >> that ought to be addressed.  That new subsection ought
> >> to note the operational issues with key provisioning
> >> and key management for Secure Dynamic DNS Update
> >> (at least for non-MS nodes) and equally or more so
> >> for Secure DHCPv6 and SEND.  One would hope these
> >> would not fall into the "unsolvable gap" category,
> >> but in any event these gaps do need to be clearly
> >> documented.
> >
> > The key management is a complicated issue. It is worth
> > a separated draft. It is relevant. However, we don't
> > think it is a renumbering specific issue.  We will add
> > some new text for it. But we would like to leave it out of scope.
>
> I do not think that ignoring the issue or declaring it
> out-of-scope is a legitimate position to take for this
> document.
>
> IETF rules require that ALL documents must fully address
> Security Considerations *within their own document*.
>
> Ignoring that topic -- or shunting it off to other
> documents -- will result in a Last Call objection from me
> and possibly others on the very solid technical grounds
> that the Security Considerations are known to be deficient.
>
> >> Similarly, there is a practical operational "gap" in
> >> that we have no way to automatically update ACLs during
> >> a renumbering event.  This also needs to be documented
> >> as a gap.
> >
> > We did list ACL as part of filter, see Section 6.3.
>
> I did.  It is not nearly clear enough.

[Bing] We can add more description.