[rfc-i] Should figures float?

jhildebr at cisco.com (Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr)) Fri, 11 July 2014 05:30 UTC

From: "jhildebr at cisco.com"
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 05:30:09 +0000
Subject: [rfc-i] Should figures float?

On 7/11/14, 7:16 AM, "Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr)" <jhildebr at cisco.com>
wrote:

>On 7/11/14, 7:07 AM, "Ted Lemon" <mellon at fugue.com> wrote:
>
>>On Jul 10, 2014, at 9:29 PM, Brian E Carpenter
>><brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> For v3, are we going to allow for processors that are capable of
>>> floating a figure? That would be a new attribute for <figure>
>>> along the lines of float="true" or "false".
>>
>>I think that would be useful, although I'm sure it will excite loud cries
>>of woe and rending of garments.   Only useful in paginated documents, of
>>course.
>
>(Sigh.  I know you're trolling, but I can't help responding.  Any chance
>we could all refrain from being intentionally inflammatory?  This problem
>is hard enough to discuss already.)

After stepping away from the keyboard for a moment, I realized you might
have been serious.  I apologize for over-reacting.  I'll try to take my
own advice to heart. :)

>float=right is sometimes useful in non-paginated output.
>
>http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/tryit.asp?filename=trycss_float

Also on further reflection, I can't think of a use case for this.  The
complexity of floating images in general suggest to me that unless we've
got good reason, we probably ought to avoid opening this can of worms.

--
Joe Hildebrand