[rfc-i] ID-Nits obsoles/updates vs mention in Abstract

barryleiba at computer.org (Barry Leiba) Fri, 15 January 2016 15:48 UTC

From: "barryleiba at computer.org"
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 10:48:36 -0500
Subject: [rfc-i] ID-Nits obsoles/updates vs mention in Abstract

We've had that discussion within the IESG, and have mixed results on
it -- so, yes, it's enforced somewhat randomly.

But only somewhat, because the bottom line is that if we (for some
collective value of "we") think that the information is useful to have
in the abstract, we ask for it.  My personal opinion is that it's not
usually important in the abstract, but there are times where it makes
sense (in an RFC that makes obsolete a very well know earlier RFC, for
instance, where the earlier RFC's number is so well known that saying
it explicitly is good).  For example, RFC 2822 says this in its
abstract:

   This standard supersedes the one specified in Request For
   Comments (RFC) 822, "Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text
   Messages", updating it to reflect current practice and incorporating
   incremental changes that were specified in other RFCs.

Somewhat random or not, I'd prefer not to have any firm rule on the
matter, but to leave it to judgment.

Barry