Re: [rmcat] Generic RTCP feedback message AGAIN

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Tue, 24 November 2015 16:28 UTC

From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 16:27:54 +0000
To: Karen Elisabeth Egede Nielsen <karen.nielsen@tieto.com>
Cc: rmcat@ietf.org, Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Subject: Re: [rmcat] Generic RTCP feedback message AGAIN

Hi,

> On 16 Nov 2015, at 12:51, Karen Elisabeth Egede Nielsen <karen.nielsen@tieto.com> wrote:
>
> HI,
>
> At the 2nd RMCAT session we proposed the following:
>
> * Give usage of a common feedback message for sender side only RMCAT CC's
> _a try_.
>
> With the following proposed way forward
>
> *1* Requirements to be considered in each CC algs draft
> *2* Analyse required feedback rates and timing as well as content
>   and point to existing remedies and/or what new needed
>
> At the RMCAT session agreement on this not established.
> Only *1* was agreed upon.  Whereas *2* was left for future potentially.
>
> NOW given the recent discussion on the list it looks (to me) as
> if we in the wg have a more mature view on this task.
> Note the wg already has a milestone to which this work
> can be associated. I.e., "Submit RTCP extension requirements
> for use with congestion control algorithms to AVTCORE (if needed)".
> Please respond to this email and give your view:
>
> Shall we NOW give the usage of a common feedback message
> for a sender side only CC a try ?
> [Yes I want to be part of this - OR -  No I don't want to be part of this]
>
> Assuming Yes. How shall we collect the requirements ?
> Possible options (I can think of):
>
> * have new updates of the CCs alg candidates (incl. SBD, coupled CC as
> applicable)
>   come soon with a good specification of the requested
> * have the same information instead go into a (potentially temporary?)
>    Appendix of draft-perkins-rmcat-rtp-cc-feedback-01.txt or new draft ?
> * others - email ?

I’d suggest either updates to the candidate drafts, or email on the list.

> Assuming Yes. Where shall the outcome of the work be specified ?
> draft-perkins-rmcat-rtp-cc-feedback-01.txt or new draft

I view the role of that as being to describe what’s possible in terms of responsiveness of RTCP feedback. It talks about how much feedback can be provided, and how quickly, not what feedback information is needed. The combination of that draft, and requirements from the candidate drafts, will tell us whether RTCP feedback is sufficient, or if it needs some extensions/alternatives.

Colin

--
Colin Perkins
https://csperkins.org/