Re: [rmcat] AD review of draft-ietf-rmcat-sbd-09

Anna Brunstrom <anna.brunstrom@kau.se> Tue, 06 February 2018 01:18 UTC

To: "Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)" <ietf@kuehlewind.net>, draft-ietf-rmcat-sbd.all@ietf.org
CC: "rmcat WG (rmcat@ietf.org)" <rmcat@ietf.org>
From: Anna Brunstrom <anna.brunstrom@kau.se>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 02:18:31 +0100
Subject: Re: [rmcat] AD review of draft-ietf-rmcat-sbd-09

Hi Mirja, all,

Comments inline.

On 2018-02-02 17:04, Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF) wrote:
> Hi authors, hi chairs,
>
> many thanks for this very well written document as well as a good write-up from the shepherd!
>
> Before I start the IETF LC call I have two small questions:
>
> 1) Normative references:
>
> I wonder if draft-ietf-rmcat-coupled-cc should be a normative reference, especially as it is mentioned in the abstract, but also because it probably helps to at least read section 4 (architecture) of draft-ietf-rmcat-coupled-cc.

My understanding is that only normative statements create normative
references, so the fact that it is mentioned in the abstract or useful
to read does not make it normative? As I am not so experienced with the
process I looked for guidelines on this before reviewing the draft and
this is at least what draft-peterson-informational-normativity-01 suggests.

> Further this sentence seems to make avtcore-cc-feedback-message should also be a normative reference:
> "Timing information described by
>     [I-D.ietf-avtcore-cc-feedback-message] should be sufficient for the
>     sender to calculate relative OWD.“
> I don’t think we want to wait for avtcore-cc-feedback-message for publication, therefor I would recommend to say something about the resolution used in avtcore-cc-feedback-message, e.g.
> „Frequent timing information in millisecond resolution as described by
>     [I-D.ietf-avtcore-cc-feedback-message] should be sufficient for the
>     sender to calculate relative OWD.“

 From the same reasoning as above, I am not sure that this is a
normative reference either? But I agree that your proposal to mention
the resolution is much better! Actually, reading the text now we should
probably also avoid the lower case should just to not confuse it with
SHOULD, Perhaps "will be" or "is believed to be" or something similar
instead of "should be".

> 2) I can't remember if this was discussed in the group but actually I believe it was not: this document could also be an informational document, as it is just one example algorithm but there are no dependencies on this scheme otherwise. I also don’t think is makes too much sense to think about this proposed algorithm as an experiment; if you want to change the algorithm or use a different one just do it; this is just a documentation of one proposal. I also assume that there is actually not much interest in the group to publish an updated version of this algorithm as proposed standard, as such why not informational from the beginning…?
>
> If the authors and the group are uncertain about this point, I’m okay to start IETF LC as exp and see if we can get further feedback there or from the IESG; „downgrading“ to information can easily be done with any additional actions at any time.

This is not something that has been discussed as far as I know, but I am
not sure what happened in the beginning of the process. Unless the
authors prefer to have it informational I would not like to change the
status at this point as this is not something that has been discussed in
the group. I also do not think it is fully correct to say that SBD does
not interact with other mechanisms in the network as it can affect
congestion control and the performance of other flows. So the need to
verify a sane and useful behavior still seems to be applicable here.

> It would be great if you could reply (or update) by early next week as I would like to start the IETF LC latest by Wednesday (or I need to move the draft to the telechat two weeks later on March 8).
>
> Find further below other comments that came to my mind while reading the doc. None of these are critical to proceed the document and may or may not be address at any point in the process.

Great, thanks! Authors please take them into account in you next update.

Best Regards,
Anna