Re: [rmcat] AD review of draft-ietf-rmcat-sbd-09

Anna Brunstrom <anna.brunstrom@kau.se> Tue, 06 February 2018 15:30 UTC

To: Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no>, "Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)" <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
CC: "rmcat WG (rmcat@ietf.org)" <rmcat@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-rmcat-sbd.all@ietf.org
From: Anna Brunstrom <anna.brunstrom@kau.se>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 16:30:36 +0100
Subject: Re: [rmcat] AD review of draft-ietf-rmcat-sbd-09

Hi,

On 2018-02-06 13:34, Michael Welzl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As an author, first of all, thanks for your feedback!
>
> I’m answering a point below:
>

>> On Feb 6, 2018, at 9:21 AM, Mirja Kuehlewind (IETF)
>> <ietf@kuehlewind.net <mailto:ietf@kuehlewind.net>> wrote:
>>

>>> Am 06.02.2018 um 02:18 schrieb Anna Brunstrom <anna.brunstrom@kau.se
>>> <mailto:anna.brunstrom@kau.se>>:
>>>
>>> Hi Mirja, all,
>>>
>>> Comments inline.

>>> My understanding is that only normative statements create normative
>>> references, so the fact that it is mentioned in the abstract or
>>> useful to read does not make it normative? As I am not so
>>> experienced with the process I looked for guidelines on this before
>>> reviewing the draft and this is at least what
>>> draft-peterson-informational-normativity-01 suggests.
>>
>> Normative references and normative language are two different things.
>> A reference should be normative if it is (or part of it) a required
>> read to understand the content of the document. E.g. if you write an
>> TCP extension the RFC defining the TCP base protocol must be a
>> normative reference. So my question is here, do you think that couple
>> congestion is a required read to understand this document (I’m asking
>> this because there is this architecture section in
>> draft-ietf-rmcat-coupled-cc).

I did not mean to suggest that normative references and normative
language were the same. I was referring to these guidelines from the
draft mentioned above:

/For the benefit of specification authors, the following is a list of
conditions in which a reference to a document need not be normative://
//   1.  if the source document is itself Informational (not a
standards-track document, BCP or an Experimental document).//
//   2.  if the referencing statement is not a normative statement;
i.e., does not prescribes some degree of normative compliance with the
target document.//
//   3.  if the target document, and in particular any subset scope
designated by the referencing statement (a section, or what have you),
contains no normative statements./

Either way, I do not think that coupled congestion control is a required
read to understand the SBD document.

For the next update the authors may perhaps still consider removing the
reference from the abstract, as it may in general look a bit odd.

> I’m not Anna, but at least I think that, despite there being an
> architecture section in draft-ietf-rmcat-coupled-cc, it is not a
> required read to understand draft-ietf-rmcat-sbd-09. It really
> shouldn’t be: SBD is just a mechanism that provides information about
> flows traversing common bottlenecks. Coupled-cc is a mechanism that
> can use it (it doesn’t have to, but if you combine them, you can,
> e.g., couple flows from one sender towards multiple receivers).
>
> Here is an example of how the SBD algorithm can be used independent
> of draft-ietf-rmcat-coupled-cc:
>
> Simone Ferlin, Ozgu Alay, David Hayes, Thomas Dreibholz, Michael
> Welzl: "Revisiting Congestion Control for Multipath TCP with Shared
> Bottleneck Detection", IEEE Infocom 2016, San Francisco, USA, 10-15
> April 2016.
> http://heim.ifi.uio.no/michawe/research/publications/infocom2016.pdf

>>> From the same reasoning as above, I am not sure that this is a
>>> normative reference either? But I agree that your proposal to
>>> mention the resolution is much better! Actually, reading the text
>>> now we should probably also avoid the lower case should just to not
>>> confuse it with SHOULD, Perhaps "will be" or "is believed to be" or
>>> something similar instead of "should be“.
>>
>> There is no need to avoid lower case should. Actually there is the
>> update of RFC2119 which clarifies this. You should probably also use
>> the new boilerplate of RFC8174. Forgot to mention that!

Ok, good I had missed this. Authors, please add updating the boilerplate
to the list for the next draft update.

>>> This is not something that has been discussed as far as I know, but
>>> I am not sure what happened in the beginning of the process. Unless
>>> the authors prefer to have it informational I would not like to
>>> change the status at this point as this is not something that has
>>> been discussed in the group. I also do not think it is fully correct
>>> to say that SBD does not interact with other mechanisms in the
>>> network as it can affect congestion control and the performance of
>>> other flows. So the need to verify a sane and useful behavior still
>>> seems to be applicable here.
>>
>> I didn’t say it didn’t interact but it does not need to be
>> standardized for interoperability.
>>
>> If we would decide to change the status, in agreement with the
>> authors of course, I think it would be okay to simply announce it on
>> the mailing list. I would not expect to see a lot of discuss there. I
>> will wait for feedback from the authors. However, I don’t have a
>> strong opinion here.
>
> We believe that Experimental status is more fitting; we looked at the
> checklist here, from which this seems a pretty clear decision to us:
> https://www.ietf.org/standards/process/informational-vs-experimental

Ok, thanks for the feedback Michael. Then we stay with experimental.

Best Regards,
Anna