Re: [rmcat] draft-sarker-rmcat-eval-test-00, test case 4.4 RMCAT Flow competing with a long TCP Flow

"Eggert, Lars" <lars@netapp.com> Thu, 01 May 2014 08:12 UTC

From: "Eggert, Lars" <lars@netapp.com>
To: "Fred Baker (fred)" <fred@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 08:12:00 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.122.105.29]
Cc: Zaheduzzaman Sarker <zaheduzzaman.sarker@ericsson.com>, Ingemar Johansson S <ingemar.s.johansson@ericsson.com>, "rmcat WG (rmcat@ietf.org)" <rmcat@ietf.org>, "varun@comnet.tkk.fi" <varun@comnet.tkk.fi>, "Michael Ramalho (mramalho)" <mramalho@cisco.com>, Erlendur Karlsson <erlendur.karlsson@ericsson.com>, "Xiaoqing Zhu (xiaoqzhu)" <xiaoqzhu@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [rmcat] draft-sarker-rmcat-eval-test-00, test case 4.4 RMCAT Flow competing with a long TCP Flow

Hi,

one additional source of reordering we've seen is caused by the receiver stack itself. At least Linux currently seems to introduce it when the system gets fully loaded (e.g., with 40G NICs) and the scheduler moves queue processing between cores. (This is anecdotal at the moment, we're trying to quantify/qualify it better.)

I'm sure this is a transient problem as far as the kernel source is concerned, but boxes based on the current kernels may live in deployments for quite some time before being updated.

Lars