RE: [MSEC] Re: [Rmt] Comments on TESLA source authentication in theALC and NORM protocols: draft-faurite-rmt-tesla-for-alc-norm-00.txt

canetti <canetti@watson.ibm.com> Mon, 01 August 2005 15:05 UTC

Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:05:31 -0400
From: canetti <canetti@watson.ibm.com>
To: Michael Luby <luby@digitalfountain.com>
Subject: RE: [MSEC] Re: [Rmt] Comments on TESLA source authentication in theALC and NORM protocols: draft-faurite-rmt-tesla-for-alc-norm-00.txt
Cc: "Rmt@ietf. org" <rmt@ietf.org>, vincent.roca@inrialpes.fr, msec@securemulticast.org
Sender: rmt-bounces@ietf.org

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Michael Luby wrote:

> I'm not understanding something.  Why is it appropriate to do TESLA-SRTP in
> MSEC but TESLA-ALC/NORM in RMT?

because the feeling was that we do have sufficient expertise on SRTP in
MSEC (Mark Baugher is a cocauthor of both SRTP and TESLA-SRTP).

Lets indeed discuss this issue at RMT and MSEC this week and see what the
feelings are. In any case, this clearly should be a joint venture.

> I'm pretty skeptical of doing this work in RMT, since the expertise is just
> not there for security and since this draft adds a lot of stuff that seems
> pretty generic and should be inherent MSEC work, and since the security
> expert and one of the inventors of TESLA has himself described below that
> TESLA is a relatively complex and delicate protocol.

I guess this skepticism is natural, in the same way that I'm skeptical
about developing in MSEC a protocol that would interoperate with other
RMT protocol. But see below.

> I would really prefer as much of the basic work to be done in MSEC as
> possible (like the initial bootstrapping to let the receivers have an
> estimate and delta of the current time at the sender when there are a lot of
> receivers, which seems pretty generic to me, given that I understand MSEC to
> mean Multicast SECurity and multicast generally implies lots of receivers),
> and it still seems to me too much is being done in this draft and not enough
> of the basic work has been done in MSEC (assuming that the work described in
> the initial draft that seems to be new has not been done in MSEC).

Practially all these details (bootstrapping, etc) are essentially a
repetition of the description in RFC 4082. It's ok to repeat (since this
is going to be standards-track), but as I remarked in the previous mail it
should be made explicit that all the details are taken from 4082 (and say
explicitly if there is deviation)

> As a side-remark: I'm a bit disappointed with the approach that MSEC seems
> to be taking on TESLA, only doing work for an "Informational" RFC,
> especially for something that involves a relatively complex and delicate
> protocol that is non-trivial to understand and implement securely.  An
> "Informational" RFC is a good starting point, but if it is delicate and easy
> to get wrong, it seems like there would be some more rock-solid protocol
> descriptions in a "Standards" track that are developed as well, at least for
> all the common cases and some of the basic parts of the protocol.

Well, careful reading may prevent disappointments... :)

The plan is to have not one but (at least) two concrete, standards track
documents: TESLA-SRTP is one, and the future TESLA-ESP is another.

Ran