Re: [MSEC] Re: [Rmt] Comments on TESLA source authentication in the ALC and NORM protocols: draft-faurite-rmt-tesla-for-alc-norm-00.txt

George Gross <gmgross@nac.net> Fri, 29 July 2005 14:50 UTC

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 07:31:34 -0400
From: George Gross <gmgross@nac.net>
To: faurite <sebastien.faurite@inrialpes.fr>
Subject: Re: [MSEC] Re: [Rmt] Comments on TESLA source authentication in the ALC and NORM protocols: draft-faurite-rmt-tesla-for-alc-norm-00.txt
Cc: "Rmt@ietf. org" <rmt@ietf.org>, vincent.roca@inrialpes.fr, msec@securemulticast.org
Sender: rmt-bounces@ietf.org

Hi,

	I've taken a quick look at the NORM/ALC TESLA draft. It makes a
good starting point for how to apply TESLA in combination with the RMT
work. I did not dive into it to get details, but a few high level comments
seemed in order:

1) I have not identified a compelling architectural reason why NORM/ALC
TESLA needs to be applied in an application specific manner. Instead, this
work is a good candidate for inclusion within a set of one or more
standards track documents that describe how to apply TESLA to existing and
emergent MSEC and IPsec standards. In particular, I would suggest taking a
look at the draft-ietf-msec-ipsec-extensions-00.txt, particularly the
service models discussion in the appendix.

2) the bootstrapping phase of the NORM/ALC TESLA bears a strong
resemblance to the Internet layer group key management protocols already
developed in MSEC: GDOI and GSAKMP.  For example, the TESLA bootstrap
information could become a sub-payload within the GSAKMP Key DownLoad
payload. By using an existent MSEC GKMP, the group membership and group
speaker authentication and authorization procedures are largely defined
and the TESLA feature becomes an extension of a framework. As an aside,
GSAKMP has a distributed mode of operation that alleviates the scalability
problem, and it also a uni-directional mode too (e.g. for satellite).

3) as part of the same activity, we would need to design a TESLA ESP
trailer authenticator, with NORM or ALC as the payload.

4) integration with the MSEC framework has the additional benefit that the
unicast NORM repair and congestion notification messages directed at the
group speaker could be both group and source endpoint authenticated, the
source authentication using the RSA signatures scheme now in RFC editor
queue.

5) The use of one-way hash chains advocated in the NORM/ALC TESLA draft
may have IPR issues. I'm not a patent attornory, YMMV.

The NORM/ALC TESLA draft is on the MSEC agenda for Paris, but I won't be
there. So I would hope these discussions could continue on the MSEC list.

hth,
	George