Re: [Rmt] DISCUSS and COMMENT: draft-ietf-rmt-bb-norm-revised

Brian Adamson <adamson@itd.nrl.navy.mil> Wed, 16 July 2008 13:28 UTC

From: Brian Adamson <adamson@itd.nrl.navy.mil>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, iesg@ietf.org, rmt-chairs@tools.ietf.org
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:50:43 -0400
Cc: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>, rbonica@juniper.net, Robert Adamson <adamson@itd.nrl.navy.mil>, rmt@ietf.org, cabo@tzi.org, Joe Macker <macker@itd.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: [Rmt] DISCUSS and COMMENT: draft-ietf-rmt-bb-norm-revised
Sender: rmt-bounces@ietf.org

Although I just submitted a new version of the draft, it was brought
to my attention that I didn't address everyone's comments. (I had
erroneously assumed that emails were issued for all the discusses and
had not checked the document tracker).

So, I overlooked comments from Ron Bonica, Ross Callon, and Dave
Ward.  This email focuses on Dave's comments.:

With regards to the comments:  I added the "obsoletes RFC3941"
statements.  I will add the details you suggest on approaches to
possibly deal with poorly-performing receivers in the group and fix
the sentence in Section 1.

On Ross' questions:

The way the NACK-based protocols can use FEC is _not_ just to reduce
the probability of error by adding FEC packets to the stream, but to
actually send FEC packets in response to NACKs as repair packets.
With Maximum Distance Seperable (MDS) FEC codes like Reed Solomon, the
protocol can deterministically and efficiently send FEC repair packets
so that receivers can fill their "erasures" (missing packets in this
case) within FEC blocks.  This building block and the NORM PI, in
further detail, describe the FEC-based repair strategies to somewhat
optimize this approach.  This is one of the differences with this
building block/NORM and the PGM spec  (this relates to the other IESG
comment).
And BTW, the NACK protocols can actually do both:  add "proactive" FEC
content to the original transmitted content _and_ provide additional
FEC repair packets in response to NACKs as needed.  I will review this
discussion in the document and try to clarify this further.

And I can move forward the "bulk transfer" definitions the document
addresses as you suggested.