Re: [Rmt] DISCUSS and COMMENT: draft-ietf-rmt-bb-norm-revised

Brian Adamson <adamson@itd.nrl.navy.mil> Wed, 16 July 2008 13:28 UTC

From: Brian Adamson <adamson@itd.nrl.navy.mil>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, iesg@ietf.org, rmt-chairs@tools.ietf.org
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 08:40:14 -0400
Cc: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>, rbonica@juniper.net, Robert Adamson <adamson@itd.nrl.navy.mil>, rmt@ietf.org, cabo@tzi.org, Joe Macker <macker@itd.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: [Rmt] DISCUSS and COMMENT: draft-ietf-rmt-bb-norm-revised
Sender: rmt-bounces@ietf.org

Although I just submitted a new version of the draft, it was brought
to my attention that I didn't address everyone's comments. (I had
erroneously assumed that emails were issued for all the discusses and
had not checked the document tracker).

So, I overlooked comments from Ron Bonica, Ross Callon, and Dave
Ward.  This email focuses on Dave's comments.:

a) I agree that the reference to SSM needs to be fixed to be
consistent and will do that.

b) With regards to NACK-BB vs. PGM, I will take a look at the text
from 3940 as suggested and try to adapt it for the NACK-BB.  In _some_
respects, PGM does in fact use some of the same basic mechanisms
here.  However there are some differences principally with the way
that end-to-end feedback suppression and how the FEC building block
can be incorporated as compared to the PGM approach.  Perhaps that is
close to what needs to be said (with details)?

c) In a former iteration of the NACK-BB, we had a section on
"Intermediate System Assistance" (i.e. network-based optimization)
that would have related to an original RMT charter item (Generic
Router Assistance) that was not followed through by the original
participants.  I _had_ retained discussion in the NACK-BB document on
this for the reasons you mention below, but in the last IESG last call
was requested (by Pekka Savola) to remove that discussion since it was
not currently being actively pursued.  I conceded to his comment and
removed that discussion.

I personally might have preferred to have retained that discussion
since I am hopeful that intermediate system assistance might be
revisited in the future (incl. supporting new concepts such as network
coding as they mature), but since the Experimental RFC version of the
NACK-BB still contains the discussion didn't think the concept would
be entirely lost.  The NORM Protocol has provisions in it that can be
leverage for intermediate system assistance.

I would be happy to re-include this discussion, but perhaps we can get
some comments from Pekka and/or the RMT working group on this issue?