Re: [rohc] The ROHCv2 profiles draft

pelle@cdt.luth.se Tue, 22 August 2006 15:04 UTC

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:04:17 +0200
From: pelle@cdt.luth.se
To: "Lars-Erik Jonsson (LU/EAB)" <lars-erik.jonsson@ericsson.com>
Subject: Re: [rohc] The ROHCv2 profiles draft
Cc: rohc@ietf.org

Lars-Erik,

Thanks, I will resubmit the draft as a WG draft soon.

There is one precision I would like to make however regarding "deviation" and
timer-based compression. My opinion is that it is rather the opposite - to have
a specific feature or function put into RoHCv2 profiles, proponents have to
motivate it. We have consciously not included timer-based compression in our
initial submission because we simply could not motivate it. In this respect, I
believe that there should be a clear motivation in order to add it to the
RoHCv2 profiles.

In any case, I have tried to summarize both views regarding this in my
presentation in Montreal, see my slides at:

http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06jul/slides/rohc-2/sld41.htm

I suggest we should use this as a basis for further discussions on this topic.

Currently, we still do not plan to add support for timer-based compression in
the next submission either, as we believe that the "cons" are still more
compelling than the "pros". But I welcome any technical comment that would
succeed convincing me to do otherwise, I am simply very reluctant to add
complexity without _knowing_ that we _need_ to have it!

/Ghyslain