RE: [rohc] 3GPP2's need for

"Jin, Haipeng" <haipengj@qualcomm.com> Wed, 15 November 2006 00:53 UTC

Subject: RE: [rohc] 3GPP2's need for
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:51:45 -0800
From: "Jin, Haipeng" <haipengj@qualcomm.com>
To: "Ghyslain Pelletier (LU/EAB)" <ghyslain.pelletier@ericsson.com>, Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, rohc@ietf.org
Cc: "Mahendran, AC" <mahendra@qualcomm.com>

Hi, Ghyslain,

I wouldn't agree with your assessment of draft-kapoor-rohc-profiles-reordering-01.txt.

The requirement of the draft is simple and clear: adding re-ordering support to U/O mode 3095 profiles. The solution provided in this draft actually follows the guideline provided in RFC4224 very closely. It includes the part about how to modify profiles for more re-ordering tolerance. The implementation enhancements identified in RFC4224 applies generally to both RFC3095 and the modified profile so there is no need to repeat them again. The draft is also clear about limitations (e.g. no support for R-mode).

I am not sure why you are saying that it is incomplete; could you please identify the re-ordering use cases that are not covered by the draft?

3GPP2 may be one of the main initial adopters/consumers of the draft, but there is nothing in that draft specific about 3GPP2. That is also why it is important for ROHC WG to review and approve it.

I support Option 2 in Thomas' original proposal.

Best Regards,
Haipeng