RE: [rohc] 3GPP2's need for

"Ghyslain Pelletier \(LU/EAB\)" <ghyslain.pelletier@ericsson.com> Wed, 15 November 2006 15:03 UTC

Subject: RE: [rohc] 3GPP2's need for
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:02:40 +0100
From: "Ghyslain Pelletier (LU/EAB)" <ghyslain.pelletier@ericsson.com>
To: "Sarkar, Biplab" <bsarkar@starentnetworks.com>, "West, Mark" <mark.a.west@roke.co.uk>, "Trabelsi, Chokri (Chokri)" <ctrabelsi@lucent.com>, Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, rohc@ietf.org
Cc: AC Mahendran <mahendra@qualcomm.com>

Biplab, Chokri, Jun, Haipeng, Rohit, all,

I don't really believe in coming to IETF asking for IETF members to
blindly put a rubber-stamp on a draft. But sure it can work. I have a
whole bunch of RoHC-competent people in my corridor that I could ask to
send in a friendly mail to support me on this list. I just don't think
that would have any value, it brings no technical value. I am not sure
either that I believe that "something is better than nothing" wrt
draft-kapoor.

RFC3095 was published too quickly, because of time pressure from 3GPP.
The implementer's guide has grown since then and now we are finally
publishing it. Sure, we can do it again and spend several years fixing
draft-kapoor once it gets published to fix all the issues it does not
address. RFC3095 is not an easy spec to digest and to implement right.
It scares me to think of removing the underlying assumption that there
is no reordering, fixing lsb and making some recommendations.

Anyway, I've given a significant number of hints as to what should be
worked on for this draft. I also think that the thought to reuse
existing implementations over links that can reorder packets is
appealing; this is one of the reasons we wrote RFC4224. Unfortunately, I
don't believe that the result would be good in a product that is meant
for the long term, and I don't believe that the
modifications/testing/maintenance that it would require to an existing
RFC3095 implementation would be that trivial either. So we've decided to
make RoHCv2 ... for a lack of believing that the path proposed by the
combination of fixing lsb encoding and making RFC4224 mandatory is the
path of least resistance.

I respect different opinions on this. I am just trying to do the right
thing. Hence why I think that this draft should be endorsed by 3GPP2
instead. I am not planning to be that vocal about this anymore, unless
the solution takes a shape that makes more sense to me.

But why not instead ask this WG to speed up and focus on RoHCv2, see
with the RFC-editor if we can get an RFC number reserved and see with
IANA if profile numbers can be reserved for RoHCv2 profiles, and
complete RoHCv2 properly?

We've got excellent feedback from all of you guys, and we've certainly
appreciated it, so why not focus on this?

///Ghyslain