Re: [Roll] New Version Notification for draft-gnawali-roll-rpl-recommendations-03.txt

"Koojana Kuladinithi" <koo@comnets.uni-bremen.de> Mon, 19 March 2012 06:13 UTC

From: Koojana Kuladinithi <koo@comnets.uni-bremen.de>
To: 'JeongGil Ko' <jgko@cs.jhu.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 07:13:09 +0100
Cc: 'ROLL WG' <roll@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Roll] New Version Notification for draft-gnawali-roll-rpl-recommendations-03.txt

Hi John,

> Koojana,
>
> In terms of why the DIS is sent at different intervals is rather simple
> to explain. A Trickle Timer is typically used when the network is
> stable and nothing needs to happen. At least this is the philosophy I
> tried to follow when implementing TinyRPL. However, when a node is NOT
> connected, this indicates that the network is not stable AT ALL.
> Therefore, it should try to aggressively find a next hop node rather
> than to save power. The goal of the node should be, at this point, to
> connect to a DODAG.

[koo] Yes

> Furthermore, it is not really necessary to install the root last in a
> RPL deployment. I don't see why this HAS TO be the case.

[koo] Unfortunately, this is not the case for our scenario in reality. E.g.,
Fruits will be placed in boxes together with sensor nodes (at the field) and
will be loaded to a container (at the harbor) later. The DODAG root (the BR)
will be attached to the container. Until the sensor nodes see any reachable
DODAG root, it may takes 1 - 2 days.
Therefore, the sending of DIS messages periodically is not a good option.

As Pascal pointed out, the use of exponential back-off would be an
alternative to reduce numbers of DIS generated. I am not very familiar with
RPL draft. I think, there is no possibility to let a sensor node know to
trigger sending of DIS messages after a certain time. This may helpful for
some scenarios like ours to save the power during the setup time.

Thanks

Koojana

If you install