Re: [Roll] MPL draft 2

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Wed, 31 October 2012 09:55 UTC

Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:55:06 +0100
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: "Jonathan Hui (johui)" <johui@cisco.com>
Cc: richard kelsey <richard.kelsey@silabs.com>, roll@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Roll] MPL draft 2

Hi Jonathan,

I'm afraid I misunderstood the domain concept, and we do not consider
the same case
Possibly my case is too specific, but let me explain in different words
with an example.

Two border routers are connected to two 802.15.4 networks, N1 and N2.
The nodes of N1 have a different unicast prefix from the nodes of N2.
The nodes of N1 receive packets with link-local addresses coming from
nodes of N2 and vice versa because the groups are closely spaced.
A node A1 in group N1 wants to send a multicast to a group G1 of nodes
in N1.
The group members of G1 share a Unicast prefix multicast address with
the unicast prefix belonging to group N1 nodes.
Node A1 uses this MC address when sending a message.
To my current understanding, MPL passes the message without
encapsulation on to all forwarders in networks N1 and N2.
My hope was to limit the reception to forwarders in group N1 only.
That suggests a filter at reception on the unicast prefix, when the
multicast address is a unicast prefix multicast address.

Does this still merit the same answer?

Peter