Re: [Roll] FW: New I-D on composite routing metrics

C Chauvenet <c.chauvenet@watteco.com> Sat, 06 August 2011 14:32 UTC

From: C Chauvenet <c.chauvenet@watteco.com>
To: Panos Trakadas <trakadasp@yahoo.gr>
Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2011 07:29:35 -0700
acceptlanguage: fr-FR, en-US
Cc: "roll@ietf.org" <roll@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Roll] FW: New I-D on composite routing metrics

Hi,

See inline.

Le 5 août 2011 à 01:58, Panos Trakadas a écrit :

Dear Cedric,

We believe that the definition of "order relation" is correct: the order relation is used by the OF to compare link/node weights along the path (equivalently, metric values) and select parent node.

[C.C] I Agree with your definition.

As an example, consider the case where the ETX is aggregated along the traversed path. If node A receives DIO messages from nodes B and C (potential parents) with ETX values of 2.5 and 3.2, respectively, then the order relation will help selecting node B (advertising the minimum value of ETX) as the parent of node A.
In this concept, your comment is right; the order relation of LQL must be minimum (and not maximum). Please consider it as a typo.

[C.C] OK

Regarding link-color comment: Apart from being used as a 10-bit flag field (e.g. for indicating the encrypted links, as described in rpl-metrics draft), link color may be used to indicate the number of nodes along the path transmitting at a specific radio channel; in this way interference can be reduced by selecting transmission in the "least occupied" channel. In this case, the order relation must be "minimum" and the domain is integer.

[C.C] I think that the confusion is greatly due to the very wide range that the link color metric may cover. You example of the usage of this metric is interesting, but many others usage may be possible, and so an global order relation seems difficult to find for this metric.

In general, we will re-format Table 1, following the metric description in rpl-metrics draft. Also, we will replace words "minimum"/"maximum" in the "order relation" column by "less-than" and "greater-than" in accordance to the order relation definition.

[C.C] I agree that it would increase the readability.

Before submitting this draft, there was a discussion on whether we should include examples and formulas in this initial version of the document; it seems that our decision was wrong... We will be happy to include examples and formulas to improve readability of this draft.

[C.C] Nice. I think this would provide precious guidelines for readers, and speed up some RPL design.

Finally, we think that "hysteresis" can provably improve RPL performance, and thus it will be included in this draft. To be honest, there is a "hidden" phrase: "...and if the first component values are equal *or differ less than a predefined threshold*..." (section 4.1, first sentence) indicating our effort to include hysteresis in this draft. We will give more emphasis on that point.

[C.C] I noticed that reference, but it should be worth to explicitly speak about it. I also agree that the Hysteresis mechanism defined in the MRHOF draft greatly improve the stability of the topology and should be highly recommended. BTW, some guidelines about how to determine the good threshold value would be interesting.

Thanks for your valuable comments,
Panos.

Cédric.

--- Στις Τετ., 03/08/11, ο/η C Chauvenet <c.chauvenet@watteco.com<mailto:c.chauvenet@watteco.com>> έγραψε: