Re: [Roll] security solutions for ROLL

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Fri, 24 February 2012 21:14 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: roll@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:13:58 -0500
Sender: mcr@sandelman.ca
Cc: "Tsao, Tzeta" <Tzeta.Tsao@cooperindustries.com>
Subject: Re: [Roll] security solutions for ROLL

    Tzeta> My understanding of the DISCUSS on the security framework
    Tzeta> draft is that it seeks to address the perceived lack of key
    Tzeta> management for RPL.  However, the second item in your post
    Tzeta> seems to go beyond that; is it a set of questions to justify
    Tzeta> the use or non-use of RPL security, for example? Please
    Tzeta> clarify.

I agree that point #2 is almost a non-sequitar.
My appologies for this, I should have seperated it out.

It came out of a discussion thread which I think was not well archived.
(In fact, due to top-posting, I could barely understand it)

What I did was share three things with the ADs involved to confirm my
understanding prior to posting.

I think it is up to the writers of the applicability statement to decide
if they want to recommend layer-2 or layer-3 security for an LLN
deployment in their environment that includes RPL.
If they recommend layer-2, then it is, "not our problem".

If they recommend layer-3 or do not make a clear recommendation, then
there needs to be a clear set of questions.  These are questions
relating to the knobs which are presently available in rpl-19, not to
things that we might invent to do key management.

We are making the same request in these documents for things like
MinHopRankInc, Storing Mode, etc.

draft-ietf-roll-security-framework has essentially setup a list of
requirements, which rpl-19 has tried to satisfy with some knobs.

For instance, should an industrial network operate with Authentication
Enabled?  Yes/No.
Should they use KIM 0, 1 or 2?  If so, what LVL?

draft-ietf-roll-security-framework should be identifying why we have
those 3 x 4 choices.  (i.e. what were the security requirements that
made us decide we needed MAC-32/ENC-MAC-32 and 64-bit versions)