Re: [Roll] New Version Notification for draft-thubert-roll-asymlink-00.txt

C Chauvenet <c.chauvenet@watteco.com> Mon, 17 October 2011 12:30 UTC

From: C Chauvenet <c.chauvenet@watteco.com>
To: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 05:29:37 -0700
acceptlanguage: fr-FR, en-US
Cc: roll WG <roll@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Roll] New Version Notification for draft-thubert-roll-asymlink-00.txt

Hi Pascal,

I agree that asymmetric links are challenging to establish a stable and optimal routing topology.

I strongly push the design of a mechanism that could enable to route in such conditions.

I think it is worth to flesh out a standard mechanism to address issues with asymmetrical links, as it is not really an exception in LLNs.

I'm sure many RPL implementations faced asymmetrical links, and each one has its own mechanism.
It may be great to gather our experiments and do it in a standard way.

BTW, it would also enable a safer and quicker behavior of parent selection, as DIO are not acknowledged (Link local multicast).

Your proposition seems good and simple because it just need a flag in the metric container.

I'm wondering about the overhead it would imply.
Would you need to manage 2 DAGs before coupling them ?

Cédric.