Re: [Roll] Some LLNs are NOT MANETs

C Chauvenet <c.chauvenet@watteco.com> Wed, 01 August 2012 09:15 UTC

From: C Chauvenet <c.chauvenet@watteco.com>
To: 'Abdussalam Baryun' <abdussalambaryun@gmail.com>, Henning Rogge <hrogge@googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 09:14:25 +0000
x-originating-ip: [82.241.54.131]
Cc: roll <roll@ietf.org>, manet <manet@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Roll] Some LLNs are NOT MANETs

Hi,

This is an interesting discussion.

My understanding is that both MANET and ROLL considers lossy/dynamic links in the way described in the MANET charter :  "static and dynamic topologies with increased dynamics due to node motion or other factors." I also agree that dynamicity of links is not hard wired to node mobility.

So, in the LLN Vs MANET debate, I think they share the "N" for Networks, and the 2nd "L" for Lossy.
So the remaining point is the first L, meaning Low Power.

Low Power requirements is explicit in the ROLL charter and not mentioned at all in the MANET charter.
Is the power efficiency consideration the big difference between ROLL and MANET ?

Cédric.