RE: Multiprotocol tunneling over UDP using AERO

"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Mon, 01 December 2014 22:47 UTC

From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, "routing-discussion@ietf.org" <routing-discussion@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: Multiprotocol tunneling over UDP using AERO
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2014 22:46:31 +0000
x-originating-ip: [130.247.104.6]

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the pointer. It appears that this proposal is punting on tunnel fragmentation,
meaning that the tunnel would either have to use IP fragmentation or perform MTU
clamping. We would like for tunnels to be able to support a minimum 1500 MTU and
also allow larger packets when the path MTU is sufficient. Tunnels that clamp the MTU
to something smaller than 1500 can't do that. AERO fixes this by including tunnel
fragmentation to avoid the need for MTU clamping.

> These try to be conformant to
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-eggert-tsvwg-rfc5405bis/ and there has
> been a lot of debate about getting the congestion control and checksum parts of
> the work correct.

That looks like  a good reference, and I will read up on it further. I am pretty sure
we will find that AERO is also compliant.

> Now, it should be said that both pieces of this work are handling the
> encapsulation only.

OK.

> They are not looking at forming a "new network layer" in the way that AERO is.

Right, AERO is looking at a complete tunneling solution, including routing, addressing,
mobility, security, etc. However, the AERO encapsulation format can be used w/o
having to adopt the proposal in its entirety. But, I'm not sure why you wouldn't.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com